H. H. HAHN*, M. D., for many years a very prominent and successful physician and surgeon of Youngstown, was
born in 1846 at Georgetown, near Salem, Ohio, and died at his home, on the Oak street extension, Youngstown, August
28, 1905. By some members of the family the family name is spelled Hawn.
H. H. Hahn was mainly reared at North Lima, where his father, Dr. Hahn, settled in his childhood and became a prominent
physician of Mahoning County. He was educated in the schools at North Lima and Canfield, and subsequently taught
school for a time. When 20 years old he entered Poland Acadeniy as a classmate of the late President William McKinley.
From Poland Academy he went to the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor, where he completed the collegiate course.
Graduated in medicine at the Long Island Hospital College as valedictorian of his class, he then served as interne
in the Catholic Hospital at Pittsburg. On returning to Ohio the young physician took tip the practice of his late
fatlier, and for the following six years devoted himself thereto, meeting with success and a continuation of the
confidence which had been reposed in his father. After a few months at Cincinnati, Dr. Hahn came to Youngstown,
in the spring of 1880, and was one of the city's leading practitioners, both in medicine and stirgery, until he
was obliged to retire from a very arduous practice in order to seek the upbuilding of his own health. The news
that it was impaired beyond recovery came as a sad blow to his family and to the large body of patients who had
so long relied upon his great skill.
Dr. Hahn was a valued member of the Mahoning County Medical Society, Ohio State Medical Society and American Medical
Association. He was a close and enthusiastic student, and was especially interested in electricity as a remedial
agent. . During the. later years of practice he used it extensively and with remarkable results, having every modern
scientific appliance in this line. At the time of his death he was one of the oldest and most successful practitioners
of medicine in the Mahoning Valley.
Dr. Hahn was married to Minerva Jane Clinker, of Iowa, but formerly of North Lima, Ohio. She still survives, residing
in a beautiful home at No. 217 Wick avenue. She. has two Sons, F. R. and Charles B. F. R. Hahn, who is a graduate
of the law department of the University of Michigan, class of 1903, is a rising young attorney of Youngstown, with
an office on Phelps street. Charles B. Hahn graduated from the dental department of the Western Reserve College
in 1902 and practiced his profession at Youngstown kr a short time, afterwards locating in Jefferson, Ohio. Dr.
Hahn is also survived by two brothers, Dr. E. Hawn*, of Leetonia, and Dr. B. F. Hawn*, of Youngstown, and three
sisters, viz: Mrs. J. N. Fiester, of Newton Falls; and Mrs. Lucinda Mowen, and Susan, of North Lima.
Politically Dr. Hahn was a strong adherent of the Republican party. For several years, under a Republican administration,
he served as county coroner. He was connected with a great deal of charitable work in the city and perhaps saw
more need of medical philanthropy than any other city physician, as he held the office of president of the City
Hospital staff for a long period. This work was one in which he took the deepest interest and of which he conversed
feelingly. Fraternally he was identified with the Masons. Personally Dr. Hahn was a man of sympathetic manner and
soothing presence, and it was no unusual thing for his patients to remark that his word and touch carried healing
* Borh spellings Hahn and Hawn were used in the book, keep as published.
20th Century History of Youngstown
and Mahoning County, Ohio and
Edited and compiled by Gen. Thos. W. Sanderson
Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1897
Mahoning County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium