LUCIUS E. COCHRAN, whose numerous and important business interests and connections have made his name a familiar
one all over and beyond the State of Ohio, and whose personal attributes have won him the confidence and esteem
of his fellow-citizens at Youngstown, was born June 12, 1842, in Delaware County, Ohio, and is a son of Robert
and Nancy (Hummason) Cochran.
The Cochran family was founded in Trumbull County, Ohio, by George H. Cochran, the grandfather of our subject.
who transferred his mercantile interests from Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, in 1816, to Vienna, Ohio. His son Robert,
one of his six children, passed the greater part of his life as an agricultirist in Logan County, where he and
his wife were leading members of the Christian Church. They had a family of four sons and three daughters.
Lucius E. Cochran was educated in the district schools and later took a commercial course at Pittsburg, following
which he accepted a position as clerk in a general store. In 1862 he became bookkeeper for the firm of Andrews
& Hitchcock, prominent business men of Youngstown, with whom he remained until 1867, when he went into business
for himself, becoming a member of the mercantile firm of Andrews Brothers & Company, at Haselton, Ohio, a suburb
of Youngstown. In 1880 Mr. Cochran was elected president and treasurer of a large business combination, which united
the firms of Andrews Brothers, Andrews Brothers & Company. and the Niles Iron Company into a corporation known
as the Andrews Brothers Company. In addition to the duties of this position, involving immense responsibility,
Mr. Cochran is connected, either as a principal or important official, in some of the greatest combinations of
capital and industry that now occupy the attention of the business world in this section. He was president of the
Youngstown Car Manufacturing Company; was also president of the Youngstown Bridge Company; and is president of
the Youngstown Iron & Steel Roofing Company; president of the Youngstown Pressed Steel Company; president of
the Mahoning Motor Car Company; president of the G. M. McKelvey Company; president of the Edwin Bell Company, conducting
a cooperage business, of which he was one of the originators; president of the Mahoning Valley Water Company; vice
president of the Commercial National Bank; vice-president of the Morris Hardware Company; a director of the Youngstown
carriage & Wagon Company; a director of the Ohio Steel Company, of which he was one of the founders, and a
director of the Pittsburg, Cleveland & Toledo Railroad Company. He was one of the originators of the Mahoning
& Shenango Dock Company, as well as of the Mahoning Ore Company, of which latter concern he was formerly vice-president.
Mr. Cochran deserves the title of captain of industry, for he has reached his elevated position in the business
world thrbugh a natural business genius.
In 1868 Mr. Cochran was married to Mary Isabella Brownlee, a daughter of John and Leah (Powers) Brownlee. They
had two sons, Robert B. and Chauncy A., the former of whom is now deceased. Chauncy
A. Cochran is a very prominent young business man at Youngstown, and is secretary of the Youngstown Iron &
Steel Roofing Company, and also of the Youngstown Pressed Steel Company. He married Sarah E. Davis, daughter of
the late Hon. John R. Davis, of Youngstown, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume, and resides at No. 680
Bryson street,, Youngstown.
Mr. Cochran has always been identified politically with the Republican party. During his residence at Haselton
he served 22 years as postmaster, being an appointee of President Grant. His fraternal connections include membership
in all the highest branches of Masonry, he having attained the 32nd degree. Both he and his wife are members of
the Memorial Presbyterian Church at Youngstown.
20th Century History of Youngstown
and Mahoning County, Ohio and
Edited and compiled by Gen. Thos. W. Sanderson
Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1897
Mahoning County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium