WILLIAM CHAMBERS, residing on a well improved farm of 116 acres in Boardman
township, was born on his present farm, July 13, 1871, son of John and Louisa M. (Andrews) Chambers.
His grandfather, Thomas Chambers, a native of Ireland, came to America at a very early period, and the vessel in
which he made the voyage was followed for nearly a week by pirates, but finally managed to reach New York in safety.
He first settled in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and later near Pittsburg, in a block house just across the
creek. They, with his family and other settlers, were often attacked by the Indians. On one occasion after standing
a siege by the latter, he volunteered to go on a hunt for deer. He saw a strange and unfamiliar object in the water
and shot what proved to be a catfish weighing 115 pounds. His, wife was in maidenhood a Miss "McCollough.
They reared a large family of children; namely: Thomas, Samuel, James, John, and several daughters.
John Chambers, son of Thomas and father of William, was reared in Washington County, Pennsylvania, and when about
15 years old started out in life for himself, working on different farms for his relatives. While still quite young
he engaged in the cattle busitiess, in which he was very successful, and which he followed during the greater tart
of his life. He was married in Crawford County, Ohio, to Louisa M. Andrews, after which he re moved to Mahoning
County, settling on the present farm of his son: William. He first purchased a tract of 80 acres,' to which he
later added more land and spent the remainder of his life in Boardman township, his death occurring in 1894 at
the age of 78 years. His widow survived him until 1906, dying when 72 years of age. They had five children: Mary
(Mrs. William McClaron, residing in New Castle, Pennsylvania); Anna, who is un married; James B., John and William
William A. Chambers spent his boyhood days on his father's farm, with the exception of a short period during which
he worked in the Lloyd Booth & Company pattern shop at Youngstown. After attending the district schools and
also the Northeastern Ohio Normal Institute at Canfield, he worked for some time for his brother J. B. Chambers,
in the cement business. He bought his farm from his father's estate in 1901, and makes a specialty of dairying
keeping from fifteen to twenty milk cows. He was married April 21, 1896, to Glendora McCullough, who was born in
Poland township, and is a daughter of Josiah and Rosanna Mary (Dobbins) McCullough. Mrs. Chambers has a brother
James, who is connected with the' Poland Hardware Company. Her father died in 1888, and her mother makes her 'home
with her. Mr. Chambers is agent for' the Sharples Tubular Cream, Separator and also for all kinds of farm, machinery.
Mr. and Mrs. Chambers are both members of 'the Presbyterian Church.
20th Century History of Youngstown
and Mahoning County, Ohio and
Edited and compiled by Gen. Thos. W. Sanderson
Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1897
Mahoning County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium