WILLIAM W. BROWNLEE, one of the leading citizens and largest land owners of Coitsville township, was born on
the farm on which he now resides, April 2, 1854, and is the son of John S. and Jennette (Patterson) Brownlee.
John S. Brownlee and his wife were both born in Glasgow, Scotland, Where they were also reared, educated and married.
John Brownlee was a son of John Brownlee, Sr., who resided on a farm just beyond the city limits of Glasgow. He
spent his entire boyhood days on his father's farm and after his marriage he and his wife came to this country,
about 1828, first locating for one year at Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. He then crossed the mountains in wagons
and came to Mahoning County, Ohio, remaining for one year at Struthers, after which he came to Coitsville township
and bought 100 acres of land, which formed a part of the farm on which his son William now resides. At that time
Youngstown was but a small village with about a dozen log houses on Main street. The only buildings on the land
consisted of an old log house, part of which is still standing, and a log school house, which stood about 200 feet
from the present home of the subject of this sketch, The latter building was taken down and rebuilt about half
a mile farther east. There were but six of the 100 acres cleared, but in a few years Mr. Brownlee had the land
all cleared and under cultivation, and erected a frame house in which he continued to reside until his death in
March, 1887. His widow died in February of the following year. They were the parents of six children: Margaret,
John A., Jennette, Ellen, James Patterson and William W. Margaret died in 1880, aged 50 years; John A., enlisted
in the 19th Ohio Vol. Inf. and died in a hospital in 1862; his remains were brought home and buried at Hopewell
Cemetery; Jennette (Mrs. Marstier) resides in Mercer County, Pennsylvania; Ellen, died at the age of 17 years;
James Patterson, who also enlisted in the 19th Ohio Vol. Inf., died in 1862 at the same hospital in which his brother,
one month later, passed away, and was also brought home and buried at Hopewell Cemetery; Randall S. is a resident
of Coitsville township.
William W. Brownlee was reared and has always resided on his present farm. He is one of the most substantial and
prosperous farmers of the township, owning about 300 acres in this township. Since 1882 he has dealt considerably
in stock, buying and selling cattle, and wool, and is extensively engaged in sheep raising. His farm, which is
known as the Walnut farm, is well improved in every way, with a fine large frame house, which he erected in 1878,
and a large barn which was built in 1880.
In December, 1878, Mr. Browulee married Ella Mars, a daughter of John J. Mars. They have seven children: John Clyde,
James Pat terson, William A., Donald, Clifford, and Raymond. James Patterson married Jennie Wilson; William A.
married Bessie Fiddler and resides in Coitsville township on one of his father's farms; he has two children: Louise
and Earl; Donald, is a stenographer in the B. & 0. R. R. offices. There was one other child who died unnamed,
aged about one month.
Mr. Brownlee is a Republican in politics and was first elected township trustee in the spring of 1900, being re-elected
to that office in 1903. The township trustees will spend about $57,000 on road improvements during the summer of
1907. Mr. Brownlee is also, president of the New Bedford Independent Telephone Company, the stock of which is owned
in Pulaski township, Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, and in Coitsville township, Mahoning County, Ohio. They will
have at least. 150 phones in by the fall of 1907.
Also see James A. Brownlee.
20th Century History of Youngstown
and Mahoning County, Ohio and
Edited and compiled by Gen. Thos. W. Sanderson
Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois 1897
Mahoning County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium