JOSEPH G. YOUNG, deceased; among the Prominent men whose homes have been in Piqua, none perhaps have been more
thoroughly identified with the local interests than was Mr. Young; he was a native of Warren Co., a son of Col.
Robert Young, who removed to Piqua at an early date, and was a leading and influential citizen duringthe early
days of its history. The subject of this sketch was a schoolboy with Col. Schenck and Ben Wade, but, unlike them,
turned his attention entirely to business, and his house was a home to all celebrities when visiting Piqua; in
fact, his house was the place of entertainment for worthy strangers of all classes, and the citizens of Piqua knew
no more welcome place for social enjoyment. Mr. Youngs first business venture of public importance was the establishment
of a bank here, which he accomplished in 1847, Wm. Scott being President and Mr. Young, Cashier; that bank, though
changed in name, has maintained an existence from the date of its opening to the present time, now being known
as the Piqua National Bank; Mr. Young was also a leader in establishing the Piqua Gas Works, of which company he
remained a member until his decease, in 1875, which occurred at the works, and was a very sudden and unexpected
misfortune; his energy and enterprise as a business man, and his genial sociability, made his loss generally felt.
Mrs. Young is a daughter of John W. and Delilah (Cullun) Langdon; her parents were pioneers of Cincinnati, and
reared a large family, of which Mrs. Young is the only surviving member; she was born in Cincinnati; married Mr.
Young when but 16 years of age, and, previous to his decease, enjoyed life remarkably well; she has her home at
the family residence, corner of Main and Green streets, but much of her time is spent visiting friends in the different
History of Miami County, Ohio
Published by: W. H. Beers and Co.
Miamin County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium