H. G. ULLERY, farmer; P. 0. Covington; born in Newton Township Jan. 4, 1819; is the son of Jacob Ullery, who
was born in Pennsylvania in 1772, and in 1810 came from Pittsburgh to Cincinnati on a flat boat, bringing his family
and effects; coming north through the wilderness, he located in Montgomery Co., near Harrisburg, and entered land;
the next fall he sold out, came to this county and purchased land where West Covington now stands; after putting
out a crop he erected a saw mill, about the year 1812; his lumber was obtained in Darke Co., then rafted down to
the falls; to his mill he soon added probably the first corn cracker in the township; the Indians soon became troublesome,
and Mr. Ullery, for safety, removed to Lost Creek, and here followed milling two years, then returned to his old
farm, which he sold, and bought another where part of Covington now stands; here he died, in 1847, aged 75 years.
He was twice married; his first wife was Miss Wareham, of Pennsylvania; and his second was Elizabeth Fager, of
Bedford Co., Penn.; he had four children by his first wife, and ten by the last union; his second wife died in
1861, aged 74. Of the above children, James is U. S Marshal of the Southern District of Ohio; H. G. was raised
on the farm, obtaining a limited education. Upon his marriage, he located north of Covington; in 1859, sold out
and purchased his present place; he is now minister of the Congregational Brethren Church of Pleasant Hill; personally,
he is a man of sterling qualities, generous and upright with the world, pleasant and affable in his social relations.
In 1842, he married Elizabeth, daughter of Henry Eller, who died of cholera in 1832; of their ten children eight
now survive; of the deceased, Ann M. was found dead in a spring near the house, in 1862, being then 16 years of
age; the other died in infancy.
History of Miami County, Ohio
Published by: W. H. Beers and Co.
Miamin County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium