JESSE O. DAVY, M. D., physician, Alcony: was born in Delaware Co., Ohio, Oct. 18, 1840; is a son of Henry D.
and Elizabeth (Leatherman) Davy; he was born in Ohio and she in Maryland, the paternal ancestry coming from England.
and the maternal from Germany. Henry D. and wife were parents of ten children, of whom seven are now living, viz.,
Catharine. now Mrs. Hodgden, in Kansas; Ruth, now Mrs. Clawson. in Delaware Co., Ohio; John L., Ezra A., William,
Jesse O. and Mary, now Mrs. Gilmore, of Knox Co.: he lost his wife by death in 1850, and, in 1851, was married
to Catharine Bastater, daughter of Jacob Bastater, born in Maryland; by this union he has had three children, viz.,
Alvin J., of Troy; H. Dolphus, of Cincinnati. and Elias S. Dr. Davy, our subject, received while young a good common
school education; in 1858, he attended a select school at Olive Green, Delaware Co., and, during his attendance
here, determined to adopt the medical profession; he went to Navarre, Stark Co., where he devoted one year to the
study of medicine, and, April 6, 1861, entered Wittenberg College, at Springfield, Ohio, where he graduated in
1868; soon after entering the collage, in April, 1861, he enlisted in the three months service, in the war of the
rebellion; at the expiration of which he returned to college and remained two years; thence, again, he enlisted
in the 59th O. V. I., and served till the close of the war, being while in the army most of the time in the Brigade
Hospital as Brigade Steward; his duties were to examine all the wounded as they were brought back to the hospital
for treatment, and to assign them to their proper tents, which afforded him splendid opportunities for future usefulness
in treating traumatic wounds; at the close of the war he returned to the college, completed his studies and graduated
as above stated; from there he went to Cincinnati and attended two courses of lectures at the Ohio Medical College;
removed to Springfield and began practice, meeting with very flattering success, and situated Gunder very favorable
auspices; but, like many others, not satisfied to let "well enough alone," he left his profession and
entered upon a manufacturing business, which financially proved very disastrous; during the settlement of his
business affairs, he took an agency with the Champion Machine Company, which he held for about two years; when
he entered again upon his profession, at his present location, Miami City, by buying out Dr. Thatcher, an old resident
physician; he has been in practice here for four years, and is meeting with good success and remunerative returns;
from his thorough qualifications for his profession, and the love, interest and energy he displays in its prosecution,
there is no question of his future success. On June 30, 1868, was celebrated his marriage with Susanna A. Hopper,
daughter of Abraham and Sarah Hopper; he being a native of New York State and she of Ohio; they were the parents
of four children, of whom three are now living, viz., Johanna, now Mrs. C. C. Johnson, living in Hamilton; Angeline,
now Mrs. Ernsberger, living in Richland Co., and Susanna A.
History of Miami County, Ohio
Published by: W. H. Beers and Co.
Miamin County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium