JOHN ZENZ, a well known citizen of Sharpsburg, a general merchant and dealer in farm implements, was born at
Sharpsburg, Mercer County, Ohio, October 12, 1876, and is a son of George and Barbara (Friedman) Zenz.
Both parents of our subject were born in Germany: The father accompanied his mother and stepfather to America,
when he was a child of seven years. They settled on a farm in Lorain County, Ohio, 12 miles from Cleveland, and
there George Zenz was reared. After his marriage he came to Mercer County and in 1867 settled in Gibson township,
where he bought 63 acres of land. He had established himself in a mercantile business in 1862, which he operated
until 1885, when his wife took charge of the store and he devoted his atttention to farming, He continued to acquire
land until he owned 430 acres which he so divided that each of his three sons received a fine farm. The three children
of George and Barbara Zenz were: George, deceased in 1904 at the age of 39 years, who married Mary Shafer and is
survived by four children, residents of Gibson township; Peter, residing on his valuable 154 acre farm in Gibson
township, who married Rosina Plas and has three children; and John, who is the subject of this sketch.
John Zenz attended school at Sharpsburg until he was 13 years of age, although he was only to years old when he
began a little business enterprise of his own, this being the running of a huckster wagon, which he continued,
off and on, for some four years. As soon as he left school he began to assist his father in the store and then
went to work for his father on the farm. When about 19 years of age he left the farm and devoted himself entirely
to assisting his mother in the store and continued to help her until 1903, when she retired and he took full charge.
He carries a large stock of goods and they are so well selected that he enjoys patronage from a radius of 20 miles,
having a large trade. His excellent and varied stock, combined with his honorable and straight forward methods
of dealing, have secured him public confidence. He enjoys a large trade in farm implements and machinery. In 1899
Mr. Zenz was married to Rosa Brandwie, a daughter of Bernard Brandwie, and they have four children - Clara, Martha,
Otto and Richard. Mr. Zenz and family belong to St. Paul's Catholic Church at Sharpsburg. A group picture of Mr.
and Mrs. Zenz and their family, and a view of their large cement block residence, which Mr. Zenz erected in 1905,
are shown on pages, in proximity to this.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium