JOHN WHITE, a leading citizen and representative farmer of Liberty township, who has resided for a number of
years upon his well developed farm of 190 acres, situated in section 27, near Durbin, was born in Scioto County,
Ohio, April 5, 1835, and is a son of John and Sylvia (Wyman) White.
According to family traditions, the White family, of which our subject is a member, was founded in America by an
ancestor who landed on Plymouth Rock in what is now Massachusetts, having been one of the "Mayflower's"
passengers. The name White appears on the list of passengers and there is every reason to suppose that the claim
of the family is a just one. From New England a branch of the family removed to New York and in that State John
White, the father of our subject, was born and married. Early in the settlement of Scioto County, Ohio, he and
his wife settled permanently there, after a short residence in Kentucky. Eleven children were born to our subject's
parents, of whom but three are now living, namely: Horace, John and Mrs. Hannah W. Mohat. John White served in
the War of 1812. Three of his sons served in the Civil War in defence of the Union: Horace and Asa in the 91st
Regiment, Ohio, Vol. Inds., and Nelson in the 100 day service.
John White, the subject of these lines, attended the district schools, the sessions being held in log structures,
rudely built, and grew to manhood well trained in agricultural work in all its details. Early in life he became
self supporting and may justly betermed as a self made man, having accumulated his possessions through his own
efforts. His well cultivated farm is one of value and the family residence is a pleasant, comfortable home.
On October 26, 1856, Mr. White was united in marriage with Emmarelda Wilson, who was born in Jackson County, Ohio,
in 1841, and is a daughter of James and Michal (Gilliam) Wilson, and a granddaughter of Jeremiah Gilliam, a ship
carpenter by trade, who owned a vessel which was destroyed by the British in the War of 1812. James Wilson, the
father of Mrs. White, was born in Kentucky, and his wife was a native of Chester County, Pennsylvania. Mrs. White
was reared in Jackson County until the age of six years, when her parents moved to Scioto County and became neighbors
of the White family. The children of our subject and wife were as follows: William J., a resident of Stark County,
Ohio; Levi A., of Scioto County; Mary A., wife of Daniel C. Roberts, of Dayton, Ohio; George E., of Liberty township;
Lenora A., wife of John O. Brock, of Liberty township; and Sarah Eliza, Rozella Adella, Lola I., Edward V. and
Clarence V., all deceased.
After marriage, Mr. and Mrs. White continued to reside in Scioto County until 1881, when they removed to Mercer
County. With but a short interval, they have resided ever since in Liberty township. When the Rebel general, Morgan,
made his famous raid through Southern Ohio, in the Civil War, Mr. White went out, with other good citizens, and.
assisted in driving the Confederate raiders from the State. He has always been active in politics to the extent
of good citizenship, and is identified with the Republican party. For three years during his residence in Madison
township, Scioto County, he served as constable.
Mr. White has been a church member since young Manhood. During his residence in Madison township, Scioto County,
he was prominently identified with the Methodist Protestant Church, for several years serving as class leader and
as superintendent of the Sunday school, and assisted in the building of two churches of that religious body. After
coming to Mercer County, both he and his wife united with the Church of God and he is now a trustee of the church
in Liberty township. Individually and collectively, this family is held in high esteem in Liberty township.
The golden wedding of Mr. and Mrs. White was celebrated at their home on Friday, October 26, 1906, the guests present
on this occasion numbering about 9o. Among those who came from a distance were the following: Horace White and
Mrs. Hannah W. Mohat (brother and sister of our sub ject), J. Dillon, Mr. and Mrs. G. W. White and L. A. White,
of Scioto County; J. O. White, of Columbus; Mr. and Mrs. Daniel C. Roberts, of Dayton; Dr. and Mrs: A. Stephenson,
of Celina and Mr. and Mrs. Hickett Redkins, of St. Marys. All of the five surviving children of Mr. and Mrs. White
were present, also seven of the nine grandchildren and six of the seven great grandchildren. The surprise of the
occasion was the marriage of their granddaughter, Edna White, to David Freeman, Rev. O. A. Harris, of Bluffton,
Indiana, performing the ceremony and the grandfather and grandmother of the bride acting, respectively, as groomsman
and bridesmaid. After the marriage ceremony, which took place at high noon, all partook of a bountiful dinner.
Many valuable presents were received by Mr. and Mrs. White.
A family group picture, taken at the time of the golden wedding, and portraits of two deceased daughters of the
family, accompany this sketch.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium