WILLIAM R. TAYLOR, M. D., one of the leading physicians at Fort Recovery, was born February 3, 1850, in Switzerland
County, Indiana, and is a son of William Penn and Elizabeth (Hannis) Taylor, and a grandson of James N. Taylor,
who, although not a native of the United States, was long very prominent in public life.
James N. Taylor was born in the northern part of Ireland and came alone to America at the age of 12 years. For
some, years the circumstances of his life kept him in New Orleans, but later he went to Washington City, where
he subsequentl became chief clerk in the Treasury Department, a position he filled for 12 years. His public services
closed during the administration of President Jackson. Later he resided at Philadelphia and at Pittsburg, but:
in 1816 he pushed into what was then the far West, locating in Switzerland County, Indiana, where he bought 800
acres of land. His eldest son, James Dunlap Taylor, was later a man of great prominence; he became the editor of
the Cincinnati Dollar Times, and through his instrunientality that paper became an important organ. The father
of Dr. Taylor was born on the old family estate, in Switzerland County, Indiana, known as the "Walnut Ridge
Farm," on May 20, 1822.
On the above mentioned farm our subject was reared and his first schooling was obtained in the district school
in his native neighborhood. He taught school for two years and was then appointed county superintendent when but
22 years of age, in which capacity he served for two years. He then entered Urbana University, at Urbana, Champaign
County, Ohio, and took scientific course during his stay of four years and three months, for a portion of this
period being a member of the faculty. After leaving college he continued to teach for three years in Champaign
County and in the meantime studied Medicine: His brother, Dr. D. H. Taylor, was a practicing physician in Noble
County, Ohio, and also the proprietor of a drug store, and the younger brother joined him and while clerking in
the drug store continued his medical studies. Subsequently he entered the Miami Medical College, at Cincinnati,
where he remained two years, and then assisted his brother in his practice in Noble County for a year, later spending
one term at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, at Baltimore, Maryland, from which he was graduated in 1884.
He then purchased his brother's business at Summerfield, Noble County, and continued in practice there until 1894,
when he joined his brother, who had built up a large ands prosperous practice in Wheeling, West Virginia. The latter
is a member of the State Board of Medical Examiners and is also sheriff of Ohio County, West Virginia.
Dr. Taylor continued in partnership with, his brother at Wheeling for one year and practiced alone for nine years
more, when he came to Fort Recovery, locating in this place in April, 1901. He was president of the Ohio County
Medical Society and was highly regarded as a physician there while a resident of Wheeling. Since coming to Fort
Recovery he has easily built up a practice and stands with the leading practitioners of the place. He is a member
of the Mercer County Medical Society and of the American Medical Association, and is a valued contributor to medical
At Summerfield, Ohio., December 24, 1885, Dr. Taylor was united in marriage with Jennola Kean, a daughter of John
N. Kean, and they have three children, viz.: Glen B., who is a student of veterinary surgery; Beulah and Maurice.
Fraternally Dr. Taylor is a Mason. Portraits of Dr. and Mrs. Taylor accompany this sketch.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium