Biography of Dr. Arlington Stephenson
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies

ARLINGTON STEPHENSON, M. D., a medical practitioner of Celina, was born at Syracuse, New York, September 11, 1853, and is a son of Thomas and Sarah (Wilson) Stephenson. Thomas Stephenson was born in Sussex, England, and died at Syracuse, New York, where he had been engaged in a mercantile business. After his death his widow and son made their home at Cincinnati, Ohio.

After completing the public school course at Syracuse, Arlington Stephenson entered Syracuse University, where he was graduated in the literary department, becoming well grounded in the French and German languages. This assisted him when he entered the medical department of Tubingen University, in the principality of Wurtemberg, Germany, where he remained two years. Upon his return to the United States, he spent one year in the medical department of the University of Michigan, and one year in the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, graduating from the latter institution. Dr. Stephenson entered into practice at Rochester, New York, in 1882, but one year later came to Mercer County, and located at Fort Recovery, where he won an enviable reputation as a physician and surgeon and enjoyed a remunerative practice throughout the county, which continued, uninterrupted until 1905. During two years of this time he conducted a private sanitarium. Upon leaving Fort Recovery he went to San Francisco, California, where he establisher a private sanitarium for the treatment of nervous diseases. It was equipped with Swedish movement and electric appliances and Turkish baths, which enabled him to employ the latest and most approved methods of treatment. In a few months his reputation was firmly established, but the great earthquake of April 18, 1906, destroyed his sanitarium and endangered the lives of himself and wife. For several days after the disaster, Dr. Stephenson and wife lived in Golden Gate Park, with hundreds of thousands of others, who had also lost their homes. During this period Dr. Stephenson devoted his attention to emergency work, doing what he could to alleviate the pain and distress of the injured and suffering. As soon as it was possible, he returned to Mercer County, to resume practice among his friends of many years standing, locating at Celina. In his office here he has already installed a fine electrical outfit, a microscope of exceptional quality for use in diagnosis, a nebulizing outfit for treatment of lung and throat diseases, and an electric light bath cabinet.

In 1876 Dr. Stephenson married Ella Taylor, a native of Kentucky, and a daughter of Dr. M. and Lydia J. (Draper) Taylor, the former a surgeon in the Union Army, in the late Civil War. Dr. Taylor died in March, 1906, but his widow survives and is now residing in Portsmouth, Ohio. Six children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Stephenson, three of whom are still living, namely: Maude, who is a piano instructor in the Radnor Female College at Nashville, Tennessee; Vinnie, who is a nurse in a public hospital at Cincinnati; and Arlie, who is a violinist by profession and leads an orchestra at Oakland, California. Two children died during infancy, and a son, Martin, died at the age of 18 years.

Dr. Stephenson is a Republican in politics. He is a member of the Catholic Church. Professionally he is identified with the Northwestern Ohio and American Medical associations.

History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Mercer County, Ohio Biographies




New York

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012