HON. A. P. J. SNYDER.
In the death of Hon. A. P. J. Snyder, which occurred November 15, 1901, at Celina, Mercer County lost one of
her most devoted and efficient citizens and justly honored men. For 50 years he was at the head of the Mercer County
Standard, and for a half century the hundreds of readers of this journal were influenced through his facile pen
and imbued with ideas which led to the highest type of citizenship.
A. P. J: Snyder was born in Bellefontaine, Ohio, June 24, 1828, and was a son of Henry and Sarah (Smith) Snyder.
The father was a native of Hagerstown, Maryland, and was a soldier in the army which defended St. Marys, and Fort
Defiance, in the War of 1812.
Until he was 17 years of age, Mr. Snyder attended the common schools at Bellefontaine, excellent ones for their
time, and then becahe an apprentice to the printing business in the office of the Ohio Censor, at Bellefontaine.
After three years there he worked on the Champaign Democrat at Urbana, the Banner at West Liberty and the Gazette
of his native city. On March 17, 1851, Mr. Snyder came to Celina and at once entered the office of the Western
Standard, which was then owned by Judge William L. Blocher, in connection with S. S. Snyder, brother of A. P. J.
Snyder. Three years later the subject of this sketch bought Judge Blocher's interest and the two brothers continued
the business together until 1865, when they sold out to D. J. Callen.
Mr. Snyder, however, had been a newspaper man too long to take any absorbing interest in anything else and within
18 months he purchased the Mercer County Standard, with which his name and personality were identified for a half
century. He belonged heart and soul to the Democratic party and in supporting its principles his voice and pen
left no uncertainty. Although not a seeker for office, when he felt it his duty to accept political responsibilities
he did so, and with fidelity and honor represented his constituents. In 1859 he was elected by the Democratic party
to the Legislature and was returned for a second term. He also served as a member of the Celina Village Council.
Mr. Snyder was married on February 22, 1859, to Susan E. Slicer, of Bellefontaine, Ohio. Seven children were born
to this marriage, the survivors being: Elizabeth, wife of Charles A. McKim, postmaster of Celina; Mrs. A. W. Fishbaugh,
Cora, and Frank A., who is the business manager of the Standard. To his family the death of the beloved father
who had also been friend, counselor and guide, was an almost insupportable blow and his memory will always be tenderly
cherished by those who knew him best.
Mr. Snyder, while devoted to his journalistic work, took a deep interest in all that promised to develop and help
Celina and this section. He invested money in a number of its enterprises and, through faithful representation
in his columns of the advantages of this section, brought thousands of dollars of capital to this part of Ohio.
Mr. Snyder was a charter member of the Masonic lodge and chapter at Celina and in 1887 he was made a Knight Templar
in Shawnee Commander at Lima. It was according to his expressed wish, made at this time, that his funeral obsequies
were in charge of his beloved fraternity of which he was so honored a member. A portrait of Mr. Snyder accompanies
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium