JOHN SNAVELY, who is probably one of the most venerable citizens of Liberty township, has been identified with
its most important interests for more than 3o years and stands as a fair representative of its best citizenship.
Mr. Snavely was born in Wayne County, Ohio, January I, 1826, and is a son of George and Eliza (Wireman) Snavely.
The Snavely family is of German extraction and it is a numerous and substantial one in Pennsylvania, where our
subject's parents were born. The birthplace of the mother was near Gettysburg, the scene of one of the greatest
battles of the Civil War.
Mr. Snavely remained in Wayne County, Ohio, until he was 14 years of age and then went to Shippensburg, Cumberland
County, Pennsylvania, where he was employed in the store of John Gish, with whom he remained several years. Later
he was employed in boating on the Miami and Erie Canal, in, Ohio and Indiana. In July, 1863, Mr. Snavely entered
the Union Army, enlisting in Company K, 88th Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., which became a part of the 14th Army Corps,
Army of the Cumberland. He was honorably discharged July 3, 1865. During the greater part of this time he was detailed
as commissary to the general hospital, at Camp Chase, Columbus, and performed his duties in this position just
as faithfully and honorably as if he had been on the field. Since his return he has been a continuous resident
of Mercer County. He came to Liberty township as a pioneer settler, when the forest still covered all this section
and no roads had been cut through, and he still occupies his comfortable log house, which he built in 1873, in
the year following his settlement.
On April 9, 1853, Mr. Snavely was united in marriage with Margaret Rupert, born December 6, 1834, in Mercer County,
Ohio, a daughter of George and Lovina (Parrott) Rupert, the former a native of Kentucky and the latter of Tennessee.
The Ruperts were among the earliest settlers of Salem township, Auglaize County, whence they removed to Mercer
County and settled in Union township. They were people of worth and standing in pioneer days there and their remains
rest in one of the old cemeteries of Union township.
Mr. and Mrs. Snavely have had eight children, as follows: Eliza J. wife of George Coakley, of Hopewell township;
Andrew J., of Liberty township; John L., of Liberty township; Philip S., of Hopewell township; Lovina B., wife
of William Martz, of Liberty township; George W. and Charles E., both deceased; and a babe that died in infancy.
Mr. Snavely reared his children carefully and gave them many advantages he had never enjoyed. For 13 consecutive
years he was a member of the Board of Education in Liberty townships, and during 12 years of this time was clerk
of the board. Both he and his estimable wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Liberty township,
in which he has always been active, serving nine years as superintendent of the Sunday school and at present is
a class leader. His Republicanism reaches back to the candidacy of Gen. John C. Fremont, and he has been in sympathy
with the party's aims ever since.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium