WILLIAM M. SHELLEY, a leading citizen of Uniton township, who has lived on his 80 acre farm in section 10 for
the past 15 years, was born November 26, 1856, in Wayne County, Ohio, and is a son of Daniel and Eliza (Anderson)
Shelley. Joseph Anderson, the maternal grandfather of our subject, was born in Pennsylvania and went to California
in the period of the discovery of gold on the Pacific Coast, where he died not long after his arrival. His wife,
who has been dead for 30 years, passed away at an advanced age.
Daniel Shelley was born near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in 1825, and died June 3, 1904, at the advanced age of 79
years. When a child he accompanied his parents to Wayne County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood and where he married
Eliza Anderson, also a native of Pennsylvania, who when a small child came to Ohio with her parents, who settled
in Wayne County. When Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Shelley came to Mercer County in 186o they located on a farm in Union
township near the Anderson Bethel Church, one and a quarter miles west and half a mile south of where our subject
now lives. They were the parents of eight children, namely: Elizabeth, a resident of Lima, Ohio; Jacob, George
and Margaret, deceased; William M., the subject of this sketch; Sarah, wife of Sylvester McQuoun, of Fort Wayne,
Indiana; Lewis, also a resident of Fort Wayne, Indiana; and Joseph, who resides in Lima, Ohio. Mrs. Shelley died
in 1884, aged 57 years.
William M. Shelley was reared in Union township and attended school in District No. 6. After leaving school he
engaged in farming to which he has ever since devoted his time and energy, He was married January 24, 1880, to
Lucinda Archer, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. M. Archer, both of whom are now deceased. Four children were born
to Mr. and Mrs. Shelley, as follows: Lafy, who married Frank Sinai!, lives at Mendon and has two children - Rex
and Ruth; Frank, who is unmarried, lives at home and is engaged in operating oil wells; and Abigail and Laura,
who live at home.
Mr. Shelley is a Republican and takes an active interest in. the politics of the county. He has served as a delegate
to county conventions a number of times and has been a township trustee for the past five years. He served as a
member of the township Board of Education from 1894 to 1904, and through his efforts a special teacher was employed
to give musical instruction in all the schools of the township. It was through the influence of Mr. Shelley and
his associates that the Union Township Building was constructed at Mendon in 1904 at a cost of $12,000, being located
on the Public Square, which was laid out by Justin Hamilton. Mr. Shelley is a member of Mendon Tent, No. 214, K.
O. T. M., and also of Mendon Lodge, No. 416, K. of P. He has been through all the chairs of both lodges and served
as a representative to the Grand Lodge, Knights of Pythias, at Toledo, Ohio, June 12-13, 1906.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium