JOHN SCHINDLER, who has been prominent in the affairs of Fort Recovery for many years, both as a business man
and public citizen, owns a large establishment where blacksmith work and the manufacturing of wagons and buggies
is carried on. He was born at Hecklengen, Germany, in 1849, and is a son of Constantine and Julia (Beha) Schindler.
Constantine Schindler was born in Germany and was a substantial citizen for many years. He was the youngest of
four children, the others being: Carl, who came to America, in 1830, settling at Wolf Creek, in Seneca County,
where he married (first) a Miss Ferenbach, and, after her death, Ursula Hoepf, dying in 1901; Catherine, who married
Robert Burkhart - both died in Germany; and Theresa, who married Ferdinand Schindler - both died in Germany.
The parents of our subject spent their lives in Germany. The father engaged in farming and also entered into political
life and was made one of the burgomasters of his town, which is an important one in Baden. He lived to be 70 years
of age and his wife survived to the same age. They were both most worthy members of the Catholic Church. They had
seven children, namely: William, Albert, Hugo, John, Mary, Julia and Theresa. William, who died in 1881, at Coldwater,
Ohio, married Margaret Umlor, who was born on a farm near Fostoria, Ohio. Albert, who died in Germany in 1890,
was married in his native land and always lived there. He was in the German Army and served in the war between
Austria and Prussia, in 1866, and in the Franco-Prussian War, 1870-71, and on account of being shot eight times
drew a large pension. Hugo, the third son, still lives with his family, on the old home farm in Germany. Mary married
and died in Germany. Julia is the widow of Captain Arnold Fritsch, who died in the city of Offenburg, where he
was postoffice inspector. Theresa is the wife of Ferdinand Feltman, who is a railroad official at Kensington, Germany.
John Schindler, our subject, is the youngest son in his parents family. He was educated in his native town and
when 16 years of age started to learn the blacksmith's trade with an old, experienced workman, by the name of Carl
Hutz, who had a shop and forge in the neighborhood. The youth remained with Mr. Houtz for about 18 months and then
decided to try his fortune in America. In October, 1867, he landed at Castle Garden, New York, and passed two lonely
weeks in the great metropolis before he found work at Toledo, Ohio. Four weeks later he went to Frankfort, which
was then called Six Mile Woods, where he joined his brother William, who had a blacksmith shop there, remaining
with him for the following year. Then he went to Fostoria and completed his trade with John Audis of that place.
From Fostoria, Mr. Schindler, now an expert workman, went to Tiffin, then to Upper Sandusky, and still later to
Little Sandusky, to Marion and then to Sandusky, working at his trade at every point. In order to see something
of the country, Mr. Schindler then went to Michigan and, located for a time at Adrian.
In the meantime Mr. Schindler's brother William had sold out his shop at Six Mile Woods and had established a big
concern at Coldwater, Mercer County, Ohio, and in 1872 our subject returned to Ohio and resumed work. with his
brother. In the following year he was married. He then moved to Berwick, Ohio, where he remained one year, returning
then to his brother's shop at Coldwater, this time remaining with him one year. At this time Monterey, in Mercer
County, was attracting attention and the prospects seemed good for its becoming a prosperous place, as it was thought
that the railroad would pass through it. Mr. Schindler located here and established a shop, which he conducted
until the fall of 1877, by which time the tide of business was flowing in the direction of Fort Recovery. After
selling his Monterey shop, he established his present business where he has remained ever since. In 1877 he bought
his shop property and in the following year he built his comfortable residence in close vicinity and there lived
until 1886, when he purchased his present beautiful home. It is a large, eight room house, which stood on the property
when he bought it, but he has so improved it that it looks like another place. The residence is situated on Boundary
street, where he has three town lots. On the opposite side of the street, Mr. Schindler owns five other lots and
he also has 21 acres of valuable farming land near the corporation limits. He is considered one of the substantial
as well as prominent and representative men of Fort Recovery.
On April 29, 1873, Mr. Schindler was married, at St. Peter, Mercer County, Ohio, to Mary Anna Roesner, who was
born on a farm near St. Peter, May 3o, 1852. They have had 12 children, as follows: John, who married Lula Riegel
and lives at Fort Recovery; Theresa, residing at Fort Recovery, who married Fred Boesche and has one child, John
F.; Julia, living at Anderson, Indiana, who married Joseph Lennartz and has three children - Clemence, Lionel and
Pauline; and Rose, Dora, Clara, Ferdinand, Hugo, Herbert, Ella, Margaret and Rudolph (deceased).
Jacob Roesner, father of Mrs. Schindler, came to America from Bavaria, Germany, and was married at Somerset, Perry
County, Ohio, to Mary Buschor, who had come to America from Elsass, Germany, with her parents, when eight years
of age. Mr. and Mrs. Roesner settled on a farm near St. Peter, Mercer County, where they lived the remainder of
their lives. They had six children, as follows Michael, who married Margaret Cerber and lives at Fort Recovery;
Daniel, who married Mary Ann Studer and lives. it Celina; David, who married Mary Mader and lives at Celina; Mary
Anna, who is the wife of Mr. Schindler; Lena, who married Benjamin Fallert and lives at Santa Ana, California;
and Jacob, who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Roesner were devoted members of the Catholic Church.
In politics Mr. Schindler is a stanch Democrat, and on numerous occasions the has been elected to important offices
by his party. He is at present serving as infirmary director, and during the second administration of President
Cleveland was postmaster at Fort Recovery. For a number of terms he was township treasurer and for 20 years was
a member of the Village Council, serving 16 of these in succession. He has always been looked upon as one of the
town's most representative, public spirited men.
Perhaps there is no more widely traveled individual in the county than Mr. Schindler. Since his marriage he has
visited the following States: New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska,
Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama and Colorado. In Southern Tennessee, in Lawrence County,he invested in some fine farming
lands. He has also visited Canada and on May 27, 1900, he started for Europe. On reaching Paris he spent 10 days
in viewing the wonders of the great exposition, then proceeded to Strasburg, crossed the storied Rhine, went then
to Offenburg and found a hearty welcome from his sister Julia. He then visited his native place where his sister
Theresa still resides and then went to Basel, Switzerland, and while there joined with 500 other good Americans
in celebrating the Fourth of July. After this delightful vacation, Mr. Schindler reached home in October.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium