EDWAID H. MERSMAN, a leading business man of Celina, president of The Mersman Bros., Brandts Company, which
is exclusively engaged in the manufacture of furniture, was born in 1872 at Fort Wayne, Indiana, and is a son of
J. B. and Mary (Maag) Mersman. J. B. Mersman was born in Putnam County, later resided in Indiana and subsequently
returned to Putnam' County, where he was engaged in the planing and sawmil business for some 12 years, finally
removing in 1900 to Celina, where he established a factory for the manufacture of extension dining tables, both
medium and high grade. In 1901 he sold his business to his sons, Edward H. and Walter J. Merman, and Henry Lennarti.
They continued the business under the firm name of Lennarti & Mersman Brothers until May; 1906, when the firm
name became Mersman Brothers & Brandts. The following September the business was incorporated under laws of
Ohio with a paid up capital stock of $150,000, under the present style of The Merman Bros., Brandts Company. Henry
Lennarti disposed of one half his interest in 1904 to Edmund Brandts and in May, 1906, the remainder of his business
was purchased by Edward H. and Walter 5. Mersman and Edmund Brandts. At the present time the company manufactures
dining tables exclusively, an annual business of over $200,000 being done. Employment is given to 125 men in the
factory and to traveling salesmen represent the company on the road. Shipments are made to nearly every State in
the Union and to Canada. At the present stage of growth, it will only be a few months until the company will have
the largest dining table factory in the United States. Edward H. Mersman is president; Walter J. Mersman, vice
president and superintendent; and Edmund Brandts, secretary and treasurer.
Edward H. Mersman was reared at Kendallville and LaGrange, Indiana, securing his education mainly in the latter
place and becoming an employee at the bed factory at LaGrange as soon as he left school. Later he was employed
in a planing mill and a sawmill, removing later to Ottoville, Putnam County, where he continued in the same line
until he came to Celina. Here in conjunction with his brother, Walter J. Mersman, and Henry Lennartz, he purchased
his father's business and has continued the same successfully ever since.
In 1895 Mr. Mersman was married to Rosa Grew; a daughter of Henry Grewe, a retired resident of Delphos, Ohio. They
have one 'child, Marcella. Mr. Mersman is a member of the Catholic Church and belongs to the Catholic Knights of
Ohio. In politics he is a Democrat.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium