GIDEON LE BLOND, deceased, was in life one of Celina's most enterprising and successful business men and prominent
citizens. He was born in Knox County, Ohio, and was a son of Evera C. Le Blond, who was born in Paris, France,
May 22, 1789, and came to the United States in early manhood.
Gideon Le Blond was six years old when his parents moved from Knox to Richland County, where he was educated and
where he entered into a mercantile business with his father. They continued in business at Belleville until 1847,
when our subject removed to St. Marys, Ohio, where he carried on his mercantile concerns until 1856. He then settled
on a farm adjoiningl Celina, where his family resided up to 1864, during his absence as a soldier in the Civil
War. In 1861 he went out as captain of Company H, 71st Reg., Ohio Vol. Inf., and continued in command until December,
1862; when impaired health compelled him to resign and return to the peaceful pursuits he had left in order to
assist in the preservation of his country. During his years of arduous service, Captain Le Blond participated in
many serious battles, notably those of Shiloh, Clarksville and Fort Donelson.
In 1864 Mr. Le Blond re entered business, embarking as a dry goods merchant at Celina, but five years later he
sold out and entered into partnership, in 1869, with the late Abner Davis, in the hardware and grain business,
under the firm name of Le Blond, Davis & Company. This firm was in active business life for 22 years. Thus
Mr. Le Blond's career as a business man proved his ability and likewise his integrity. The concerns with which
his name was associated were successful on account of their honorable dealings and enterprising spirit.
In 1841 Mr. Le Blond was married to Jane Patterson, who died in 1868. She was born at Cadiz, Harrison County, Ohio.
Their children were: John P., Elizabeth, Francis C. (deceased), James W. (deceased), Ida (deceased), and Charles
G. In 1871 Mr. Le Blond was married to Mrs. Emily P. Ayers.
JOHN P. LE BLOND, the eldest son of the late Gideon and Jane (Patterson) Le Blond, has been in business at Celina
since 1864, formerly as a merchant, but since 1901 as assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Celina. He
belongs to a family whose business achievements and good citizenship have made it a notable one in this section
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium