CHARLES BRUNS, whose well improved and highly cultivated farm of 220 acres is located in section 36, Marion
township, was born at St. Johns, Mercer County, Ohio, May 6, 1845, and is a son of John and Elizabeth Bruns.
John Bruns and his wife were natives of Ida, near Fechte, Germany. Upon coming to America, they first located at
Cincinnati, Ohio, where Mr. Bruns followed his trade of shoemaking, remaining there for one year. He then came
to Mercer County, purchased a farm of 8o acres near St. Johns and engaged in making shoes for the farmers and their
families, going from farm to farm. When he wanted flour for bread he had to carry the grain on his back to the
mill at Piqua. He also worked on the canal which was then being built. He acquired other tracts of land from time
to time, 110 acres of farm land in Auglaize County, to which he later added 4o acres, then loo acres at Sebastian,
Mercer County, and still later another tract of So acres. This land he later gave to his sons. Mr. Bruns was the
father of seven children: Henry, deceased; John; August; Barney, who lives in Auglaize County; Mary, wife of G.
Kiser; Charles; and Herman, who died in Texas. John Bruns and his wife died on the home farm at St. Johns, Mercer
Charles Bruns has always lived in Mercer County. He was raised on his father's farm in Marion township, where he
remained assisting with the work until the time of his marriage. Of his present farm, 115 acres were inherited
by his wife at the time of her father's death; the remainder, 105 acres, Mr. Bruns purchased. The house which Mr.
Bruns and his family occupy is a large, 10 room frame house, surrounded by an orchard and is one of the prettiest
rural homes in the southern section of the county. Mr. Bruns also owns three town lots in Celina, in what is known
as Schunck's Addition, these lots being Nos. 19, 20 and 21.
During the younger days of our subject there were no railroads or good roads in this section of the country and
he was many times obliged to travel through the mud to Celina to pay his taxes. He was quite fond of hunting at
that time and bagged many wild turkeys and squirrels. He has an old fire stone musket which came from England.
The first time he used this gun, he shot three turkeys at one shot. He has an old violin which his old schoolmaster
brought from the old country, which he learned to play, that he might accompany the school in their songs. He also
has many other old relics, including an old time piece which is over zoo years old.
Mr. Bruns was married April 6, 1867, to Caroline Bergman, a daughter of Arnold Bergman, who was a native of Germany.
Mr. and Mrs. Bruns have had one child: Henry, who married Elizabeth Brackman, a daughter of John Brackman, and
has had six children, namely: Caroline, Anna, Lawrence, Clara, and Agnes, and Clarence (deceased).
Mr. Bruns has for a number of years been school director and was township trustee for six years. He and his family
are members of St. John's Catholic Church at St. Johns.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium