Biography of Charles A. Brown, D. D. S.
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies

CHARLES A. BROWN, D. D. S., who is practicing dentistry at Fort Recovery, was born December 21, 1878, in Dayton, Ohio, and is a son of Col. D. G. and Sarah A. (Mills) Brown.

Col. D. G. Brown was born March 27, 1827, in York County, Pennsylvania. In 1850 he located in Camden, Indiana, where he remained for 74 years, removing in 1864 to Dayton, Ohio; where he engaged in the wholesale grocery business, under the firm name of Comer & Brown. He was afterwards interested in the Champion Iron Works, of Kenton, Ohio, for 12 years, and in 1886 became general agent for the Rogers Fence Company, of Springfield, Ohio. He remained with this firm until the time of his death, which. occurred quite suddenly, January 26, 1887, while writing a letter in the Arlington Hotel, Buffalo, New York. Colonel Brown was one of the most prominent men of Dayton, Ohio. He served for In years as one of the directors of the City Workhouse and a number of years as member of the Board of Education. He was a member of the Masonic Lodge at Camden, Indian; an Odd Fellow and a Knight of Honor. He was a church member, belonging to the Methodist Episcopal Church. His wife, whose maiden name was Sarah A. Mills, died in August, 1902. They had six children, namely: L. M., born March 5, 1856, and deceased in 1895, who was manager of the Brown Tar Soap Company, of Dayton, Ohio, his father was the first man to manufacture Tar Soap; Joseph, who is cashier of the water works at Dayton, Ohio; E. J., of Dayton, Ohio, who is principal of the Weaver School and connected with the Y. M. C. A. night school; Minnie E., now deceased; Walter M., advertising manager of the Brown Soap Company; and Charles A.

Charles A. Brown was reared in Dayton, received his education in the public schools and was graduated from the Steele High School in the class of 1898. He afterwards studied dentistry under Dr. Long, of Dayton, working under him for several years. He is a graduate of the Ohio College of Dental Surgery, Cincinnati, class of 1902-03. After practicing a short time in Dayton, he moved to Fort Recovery on July 1, 1904, and bought out Dr. Sickman's practice and establishment.

Dr. Brown was married on Thanksgiving Day, 1903, to Beatrice Patton, a daughter of A. D. Patton. They have one child, Helen. Fraternally, Dr. Brown is a Mason, an Odd Fellow and a member of the Psi Omega dental fraternity.

History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Chicago, Illinois

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Mercer County, Ohio Biographies




New York

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012