ISAAC BRANDON, county commissioner of Mercer County, is the owner of 337 acres of farm land in Franklin and
Butler townships. His residence is on his Franklin township property in section 22, known as the "Lake Mercer
Stock Farm," where he is engaged in raising pacing horses. He was born March 3, 1851, in Shelby County, Ohio,
and is a son of Xurg Brandon.
Xurg Brandon was born in Darken County, Ohio. He was married to Delila Baker, a daughter of Lewis Baker, who came
from Virginia and settled in Darke County. Mr. and Mrs. Brandon had 10 children, of whom three died during infancy.
The other seven were as follows: Xurg, who died when a boy; Gabrilla (now deceased), who married Calvin E. Riley,
and had seven children; Eliza, who married George Breo; Lydia (Ryan); Lucinda, who married John Hight; John, who
married Jennie Knox; and Isaac, who was the youngest of the children. Mr. Brandon died at Berlin, Shelby County,
where he was the proprietor of a hotel, passing away when our subject was 10 months old. After the death of Mr.
Brandon, his wife sold the hotel and moved to Celina. In 1856 she was married to John Haneline and moved to a farm
in Center township, Mercer County. One child was born of this union, Nathan, who died at the age of four years.
Mrs. Haneline, mother of our subject, died in 1903, at the age of 89 years.
Isaac Brandon lived with his step father until about 12 years old, after which he learned the blacksmith's trade
and worked on a canal boat for two years, driving the mules on the tow path a portion of the time. He then worked
on a farm for Calvin E, Riley.
On January 2, 1872, he was united in marriage to Caroline L. Emerson, daughter of John and Ellen Emerson. In 1873
he moved to his present farm in Franklin township, which he purchased four years later from the State. Here Mr.
Brandon is engaged in general farming and breeding pacers. One of his best known horses is "Red Hall,"
whose record is 2:131/4.
Mr. Brandon is the father of four children: Electra, born November 4, 1872, in Jefferson township, who married
Allen Palmer and lives at St. Marys; Delila Ellen, deceased in infancy; and Fannie, born in 1876, and Park T:,
born in 1879, both of whom live at home. The two last named attended the Ohio. Normal University at Ada, Park T.
Brandon also taking a course at Valparaiso College and at Tacoma, Washington. Mr. Brandon was elected county commissioner
in 1903 and still serves in that capacity. He is a member of the United Brethren Church and belongs to the Independent
Order of Odd Fellows.
History of Mercer County, Ohio
and Representative Citizens
Edited & Compiled by: Hon. S. S. Scranton
Published by: Biographical Publishing Company
Mercer County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium