Biography of Washington Withrow
Madison County, Ohio Biographies





WASHINGTON WITHROW, P. 0. Walnut Run, the oldest native resident of this township. was born in Union (now Paint) Township, this county, February 27, 1813. His grandfather, William Withrow, was a native of England, and upon coining to them United States located in Pennsylvania, where he resided till his death. One son, James, a native of that State, emigrated to Ross Cuunty, Ohio. in 1801, and five years later (1806), came to this county. He located 250 acres of land on Walnut Run, where he lived during life, and gained considerable property. He married Mary Stockton, a native of Pennsylvania, and daughter of Robert Stockton. They were the parents of eight children, four now living, and all residents of Madison County. Mr. Withrow died in August, 1823, and his wife (who was born in 1778) in April, 1841. Both were buried on the home farm, the place now being a portion of the Paint Township Cemetery. Our subject was the sixth child and fourth son of their parents, and was reared a "farmer's boy." At this time, schools were not as plentiful as at present, and the schooling then obtained consisted only of the three " R's" - "readin., 'ritin' and 'rithmeic." Mr. Withrow attended school whenever it was possible for him to be absent from the duties of the farm, but never after arriving at his fourteenth year. The death of his father in 1823, deprived the mother and family of a support, and the sons - three in number stood up manfully, and although young in years, bore the farm burdens with fortitude. When the two elder were married, the duties of the farm devolved upon our subject. He supported his mother until her death, residing on the home farm. When fifteen years of age, he had left home, and hired to work on a farm at $4 per month. He remained at this for two years, and subsequently bought 107 acres of good land. Being of an industrious and economical nature, he steadily increased his landed possessions until he once owned 1,200 acres. He has always been engaged in farming and stock raising, but of late years has somewhat retired from active labor. He was a Whig, subsequently a straight Republican, and can justly be termed a Prohibition Republican. He served one term as County Commissioner, and is now one of the Township Trustees, having held the latter position for many years. In early life, he was a member of the " Washingtonians," and " Sons of Temperance," and when forty years of age, he became connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. In this latter organization he is now serving as Trustee, Steward and Class Leader of the Newport Church He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity. No man is better known in Paint Township, and no family is better respected than that bearing the name of Withrow. Mr. Withrow was united in marriage January 27, 1833, to Catherine, daughter of Martin and Catherine (Gillett) Trumain, and a native of New York. She accompanied her parents to this State when six years of age. Her father died in 1823, and her mother in her ninety fourth year. Mr. and Mrs. Withrow have been blessed with twelve children, seven of whom grew to man and womanhood, and five now reside in this county, viz.: Margaret (widow of Albert G. Rankin, and second wife of Isaac Kemp, a farmer of Union Township), William, James, John (married to Elizabeth Ross, and residing in Osage County, Kan.), Lucy (wife of James McDonald, a farmer of Deer Creek Township, in this county), David, and Fannie (wife of Richard Armstrong, of Ocoya, Ill.). Three of the above are more fully mentioned in the following: William Withrow, of Withrow & Sifrit, proprietors of the Newport Tile Works, and of Roland & Withrow, dealers in general merchandise, was born in this township August 3, 1840. He grew to mature years on the old homestead, and obtained a fair common school education. He remained with his father on the farm until October 3, 1861, when he married Mary J., daughter of Calvin Morris. After marriage, he went to Indiana, where he was engaged in farming and trading for four years. He then came back to Paint Township, locating in a portion of the home farm, and four years later rented a farm, where he lived two years. In 1876, in company with a Mr. Durkee, he built the Newport Tile Works. Soon after, Mr. Withrow bought Mr. Durkee's interest, and rented the works to the latter for a period of three years. He then operated them himself until the spring of 1882, when Martin Sifrit first became a full partner, the firm being now known as Withrow & Sifrit. In the winter of 1881-82, Mr. Withrow, with T. H. Roland, purchased the grocery stock of Charles Douglass, and in both these business operations, Mr. Withrow has been very successful. He is a member of the Sons of Temperance Lodge, of Newport, the Republican party, and has officiated as School Director. Himself and wife are the parents of five children - Allie (wife of Albert Buel, a farmer of Union Township), J. Russell (a clerk in the store), Minnie, Washington and Fern. Mr. Withrow and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. James Withrow, farmer, stock raiser and dealer, resideuce London, was born in Paint Township January 18, 1842. Like his brothers, he was reared amid rural scenes, obtaining only a common school education. He remained at home until July 22, 1861, when he enlisted in Company K, Twenty sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as a private, and was mustered out a non commissioned officer, July 21, 1864, having served a three years' term. At the battle of Mission Ridge, he was severely wounded in the left arm, from the effect of which he has since suffered. After returning home, Mr. Withrow engaged with his father in farming and stock raising for five years. He then purchased 100 acres of the home farm, where he has since been engaged in farming. He also raises and deals in live stock. In December, 1880, he removed his family to London, where he resides. He is Republican in politics. but has never been an active politician. He was married, October 2, 1865, to Clara, daughter of Gideon and Deborah (Kilgore) Peck, the former a native of Ross County, Ohio, died in September, 1879, latter of Fayette County, Ohio, now living in her sixty seventh year. Mr. and Mrs. Withrow had three children born to them. two living - Addie and Sarah; Jennie is deceased. Mr. Withrow. wife and family are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. David M. Withrow, farmer and stock raiser, on the Danville pike, was born on the Washington & Charleston pike, and has resided in Paint Township during his life. He grew to manhood on the home farm, and in early life attended the district schools, and subsequently the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio. He is now residing on a portion of the old homestead, and succeeding admirably in life. Mr. Withrow is a Republican in polities. He was married in March, 1874, to Miss V. H. Ham, native of this county. Her grandfather, John Ham, was a native of Maryland, and died in 1859. They have one daughter. Mr. and Mrs. Withrow are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.

From:
History of Madison County, Ohio
Published by: W. H. Beers and Company
Chicago, Illinois
1883


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Madison County, Ohio Biographies

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium