JOHN E. ROBERTS, farmer, P. 0. West Jefferson, is a grandson of Thomas and Susan (Prisel) Roberts, the former
a native of Virginia, of Irish parentage, and the latter a native of Virgnia, of German descent. They were married
in the East, and about 1798. they came to Ohio with one child, John. They settled near Martinsburg, now Darbyville,
Pickaway County, where they squatted for a short time only, when they pressed on to Franklin County, where he bought
a large tract of land, and, in 1812, laid out Georgesville. He finally bought about 1,500 acres in Madison County.
where he subsequently settled, probably about 1843. They had a family of eleven children, viz., John. Margaret,
James, Bazel, Elizabeth, Nancy, Sabastian. Elias, George, Mary R. and Edwin E. Nancy and the two youngest are yet
living. Thomas Roberts was, when reaching Parbyville, Ohio, destitute of everything save $3 in cash, but he was
a wonderful worker, of industrious and economical habits, which soon placed him among the well to do citizens.
He was a large cattle dealer and drover, taking many trips with stock over the mountains to Eastern markets. In
this branch of business, he was eminently successful. In the prime of life, he had a good constitution, but for
thirty years previous to his death, he suffered from consumption. In an early day, he operated a still house at
Georgesville, and bought corn for 10 cents per bushel. He and wife both died in Jefferson Township, in the year
1864. aged, respectively, eighty nine and eighty five years. Of their children, Sebastian, the seventh, was born
in Franklin County, Ohio, September 8, 1814. He was raised in his native county, where, in 1839, he married Tacy
A. Holt, who was born and raised near Philadelphia, Penn. Two of their sons are now living, viz., John E. and T.
B. Sebastian and wife came to Madison County in 1842; subsequently, he became a large land owner and solid farmer.
He was a man of medium size, possessed rather delicate health, and died May 18, 1869, leaving two sons and a widow,
the latter still bearing the name of her departed husband. John E., the youngest of the sons, was born in 1843
in Jefferson Township, where he has always resided, and devoted his summers to farming and his winters attending
the district schools, save two years spent in the retail dry goods trade in Jefferson. He now owns a fine farm
of 368 acres, one mile west of Jefferson, pleasantly located and under a high state of cultivation. He was married,
in 1865, to Clara L. Stutson, a native of Zanesville, Ohio. One son is the fruit of this marriage.
History of Madison County, Ohio
Published by: W. H. Beers and Company
Madison County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium