JACOB MARTIN, superannuated minister of the Methodist Episcopal denomination, was born near Marietta, Washington
Co., Ohio, April 3, 1806. His father was Charles H. Martin, a native of England, who came to America previous to
the Revolutionary war. He served in the Colonial army, and subsequently drew a pension for services rendered. He
was a single man, and in 1789 removed to Marietta, Ohio, one year after its first settlement, and where he met
and afterward married Mary M. Gayler, a native of Pennsylvania. The date of their marriage was 1797. Soon after
their union, they located on the Muskingum River, about six miles above Marietta, and in 1815, to Licking County,
Ohio, where both passed the remainder of life. The father was a member of the Seceder Church in early life, but
subsequently let his thoughts turn to things of a more worldly nature. He was again converted through the ministration
of his own son, and joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in August, 1833, and died in the full faith of a blissful
immortality, in November, 1838, aged eighty years. His wife became a member of the Baptist Church in 1821 or 1822,
but for convenience, joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1848, living in that faith till her death, December
8, 1860. She was born March 31, 1777. Jacob Martin, born 1806, was in his tenth year when his parents in 1815.
removed to Licking County. His educational facilities, like those or all "pioneer boys," were limited,
he receiving only fifteen months' schooling in all his life (outside of his theological studies), and that at scattered
intervals, between the ages of five and twenty years. He remained with his father until he entered the university.
He first thought of taking the step when twenty one years. of age, and in 1831 joined the Ohio Conference when
twenty five years of age. He was first assigned to the Wilmington (Clinton County) Circuit, and his subsequent
locations are as follows: In 1832 to the Tiffin Circuit; in 1833, to Fort Defiance, and thence to Logan County,
W. Va., one year, his circuit covering 600 miles; thence to Gallipolis; in 1836, to London Circuit; next to Franklinton
Circuit, one year; Granville Circuit, a like period. At close of that year, superannuated on account of failing
health, and removed to Range Township, in this county. and was there engaged in farming for fourteen years. He
then returned to the regular ministry again,and, in 1853,was assigned to the Dublin Circuit; thence to Groveport
two years, and two years later to Worthington. where he had formerly bought property; two years later, was assigned
to the Darbyville Circuit, in Westport, Franklin County, while family remained at Worthington; was there one year;
thence to Mount Sterling, this county, and then to Johnston, Licking Co., two years; Baltimore, Fairfield Co.,
one year; thence, again to Mount Sterling, one year; Bloomingburg, Fayette Co., one year; Frankfort, Ross County,
two years, and finally, in 1867, again superannuated, and purchased his present property in London, where he has
since resided. Rev. Mr. Martin has been an able and efficient worker in the Lord's vineyard, having traveled a
great deal in the State of Michigan, doing missionary work, and prior to his entering the regular ministry. In
the latter, he has labored over a period of twenty two years, averaging over 3,000 miles traversed each year, and
probably a grand total of 75,000 miles, or three times the circuit of the globe. He is now resting from his labors,
amid pleasant surroundings and hosts of admiring friends. Before long his bark will pass over the river to the
great beyond, and where a crown of righteousness awaits him at the last day. Mr. Martin was married in March, 1836,
to Johanna C. Leonard, a native of the District of Columbia, now a portion of Fairfax County, Va. Three sons were
sent to bless this union, two living. The elder, James D., has been in Washington, D. C., in a dry goods house,
part of the time as partner. Near the end of the rebellion, he was sent to Savannah, Gad., as Post Office Agent;
thence to Charleston, S. C., where he remained in charge some six months, after which he returned to Washington.
He was then appointed one of the "Tax Commissioners" of the South, with headquarters at Beaufort, S.
C. At the end of eighteen months, he returned to Washington, D. C., where he still is, in single blessedness. The
younger son, Joseph S., is a farmer and stock raiser of Range Township, where he was born and reared. He married
Isabel, daughter of Benjamin Harrison (deceased). They have three children - James F., Benjamin H. and Joseph S.
The youngest son of Jacob Martin, John Wayland, died September 23, 1845, aged fourteen months. Mrs. Martin is still
living, aged seventy three years. Like her husband, she has also been a faithful worker, and with her husband,
will enjoy the Gospel sweets of the great eternity.
History of Madison County, Ohio
Published by: W. H. Beers and Company
Madison County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium