This is the chief exclusively social club for men, comprising a membership at this time of more than eight hundred.
It was regularly organized in 1889, but its inception runs back to a much earlier date, when a little group of
men headed by Mr. David R. Locke, known in literature as "Petroleum V. Nasby," formed the Draconian Club,
which took quarters on Superior street, back of the building where the Toledo Blade now has quarters. The group
was extended as time went on, but it remained merely a group of congenial spirits, who occupied the building until
there was sufficient demand for club facilities to warrant more pretentious plans. The southeast corner of Madison
and Huron streets was purchased, upon which a new home was erected, of Superior sandstone. This building was occupied
by the new organization, "The Toledo Club." The officers for 1889 were: J. B. Ketcham, (II). president;
W. N. Conant, vice president Dean V. R. Manley, treasurer, and W: L. Hoyt, secretary.
For all of the years since, the Club has had a large part in the social affairs of Toledo, and it has grown with
the city. About 1919, the facilities of the old building being inadequate for the demands of a first class club.
A new site was purchased at the southwest corner of Madison and Fourteenth streets, and upon it was erected one
of the most complete clubs in the country. It has spacious public rooms, furnished with unusual taste, and on an
upper floor a large number of rooms for the accommodation of resident guests.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium