Walter Lee Slayton, head and founder of the bond house of W. L. Slayton & Company, has had long experience
in the investment security business and is a well known figure in financial circles of Toledo. He was, born in
Dundee, Monroe county, Michigan, May. 25, 1876, a son of William Earl and Ella (Burns) Slayton. His father was
engaged in the lumber business and also in the manufacture of brick and tile. Leaving Michigan, he removed to Toledo
in 1895 and here carried on business as a contractor and builder.
Walter L Slayton. was a youth of nineteen, years when the family hothe was established in this city, where he.
has since resided. He began his business career in a Toledo general store, where he was employed for five years
as buyer, and then became connected with, the firm of Spitzer & company, with whom he remained as a bond salesman
for ten years. At the expiration of that period, with William K. Terry and Clarence D. Briggs, he formed a 'partnership
under the firm name of Terry, Briggs & Slayton, to deal in municipal bonds, and when he withdrew from this
partnership in January, 1917, he established the house of W. L. Slayton & Company, for the purchase and sale
of municipal, county, township, school, road and drainage bonds. The growth of the, business has been remarkable
and has carried the firm to a prominent position among the leading bond'houses in this section of the country.
The home office occupies the entire fourth floor of the Dime Savings Bank building and buying offices are maintained
in Chicago, New Orleans, Tampa, Florida, Raleigh, North Carolina, Glasgow, Montana, and Austin Texas. Among his
other business connections Mr. Slayton organized the W. L. Slayton Realty Company, of which he has been president
since its inception. He also owns and operates Slayton's greenhouses.
On the 25th of October, 1899, Mr. Slayton was married to Miss Mammie L. Paul of Dundee, Michigan, and they are
parents of one son, Walter Lee, Jr., born November 29, 1908, in Toledo.
Mr. Slayton belongs to the Ottawa Park Riding Club, and he has menibership in the Inverness Club, the Toledo Club
and the Commerce Club His connection with these and his activity in the business field have brought him a wide
acquaintance not only in this city, but throughout the country. His home is at No. 2476 Glenwood avenue.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium