Biography of John M. Ormond
Lucas County, OH Biographies

John M. Ormond has long been a Toledo representative of that profession, which has ever been the conservator of life and liberty, right and property and with the work of the Toledo courts has been actively identified Possessing comprehensive knowledge of the principles of jurisprudence he steadily worked his way upward at the bar and in his later years he has also become connected with various important business interests, being now identified with several leading corporations of this city and elsewhere. John M. Ormond was born in Sharon Mercer county, Pennsylvania, his parents being the Rev. Benjamin Kelso and Mary (McFarland) Ormond. The father was for many years a distinguished representative of the Presbyterian ministry, who gave his life for the benefit of his fellowmen and largely influenced the moral progress of northwestern Ohio. He was a native of Cecil, Washington county, Pennsylvania, and a son of Alexander Poe and Jane Kelso Ormond, who were likewise born in the Keystone state. The grandfather was a descendant of a prominent ruling family of the North of Ireland and the grandmother was descended from the Kelso family of Kelso, Scotland, while her father was an officer in Washington's army in the war for independenee.

During his youthful days Dr. Benjamin Kelso Ormond largely resided in Pittsburgh and vicinity and acquired a liberal education through his own efforts, attending the academies of Indiana and Eldersridge, Pennsylvania, and also pursuing a four years' course in the Washington and Jefferson College, from which he was graduated. Having determined to devote his life to the work of the ministry, he then entered the United Presbyterian Theological Seminary of Allegheny and following the eompletion of his course there he took advance work in Hebrew, which constituted the foundation of his thorough knowledge of the Bible. He was licensed to preach in 1859 and afterward became pastor of the United Presbyterian church at Sharon, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, where he labored for twenty three years. He then entered the Presbyterian church and while on a tour of the west organized the church in Pueblo, Colorado. He afterward settled in Wooster. Ohio, where he became a trustee of the university and took an active interest in the affairs of that institution. He served as pastor of the Creston and Jackson churches and finally accepted a call to the Third Presbyterian church of Toledo, where he labored for thirteen years, his efforts proving a most potent force in advancing the moral progress of the state. His political allegiance was stanchly given to the republican party and he was a warm admirer of its distinguished leaders: Lincoln, McKinley and Roosevelt. He wedded Mary McFarland, who with their four children; John M. Ormond, Mrs. John R. Calder, Mrs. Frank Willard Thomas and Miss M. Georgia Ormond, survived the husband and father and still reside in Toledo. Of Dr. Ormond a contemporary writer has said: "He was a genial gentleman of the old school, kind and courteous to all and ever ready to lend a helping hand. His love for children and ready sympathy for his fellowmen endeared him to many. His never failing optimistic outlook on life made him a happy, hopeful inspiration to all who knew him. His interest in public affairs never waned, his faith in God never faltered, his devotion to his Master never ceased, even to the last day of his advanced years."

Having completed a course of study in the Sharon, Pennsylvania, high school with the class of 1882, John M. Ormond afterward matriculated in the University of Wooster at Wooster, Ohio, and is numbered among its alumni of 1887. He next became a law student in the University of Michigan and was there graduated in 1889, with the degrees of Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Philosophy. The following year he was admitted to the Ohio bar and soon afterward located in Toledo, where subsequently he opened an office in the old Law building, and there remained for about two years. He next established his office in the Nasby building but three years later opened headouarters in the Spitzer building, becoming one of the first tenants in that imposing structure. He soon won prominence as a lawyer not in the more spectacular criminal court proceedings but in connection with civil law, of which he has broad, comprehensive and accurate knowledge. He has long enjoyed a large clientage but since 1905 has given a considerable portion of his time and attention to corporation law, numbering among his clients some of the leading corporate concerns of Toledo and elsewhere. As he has prospered he has made judicious investment in real estate, owning considerable holdings in both farm and city property. Moreover, he has established his own home in the village of Maumee, his residence being a fine old colonial mansion, situated on historic grounds. While improving the grounds about his place he unearthed a number of relics such as old coins of ancient date, together with mementos of aboriginal occupation. He has long been a close student of history, particularly that pertaining to the Maumee valley and he was among those who most earnestly advocated the cause of preserving the old Lucas county courthouse at Maumee. He gave liberally of his time and means toward the establishment of the public library at Maumee and was instrumental in securing a donation of ten thousand dollars from the Carnegie Corporation of New York.

On the 1st of October, 1890, Mr. Ormond was united in marriage to Miss Lucy Jameson of Warren, Ohio, a daughter of Biven Jameson, now deceased, who was one of the honored residents of that place. Her mother bore the maiden name of Sarah Blair and represented an old Massachusetts family. Mrs. Ormond was born and reared in Warren and in 1887 was graduated from the Lake Erie Seminary at Painesville, Ohio. She is a charter member of the Sorosis Club of Toledo. Both Mr. and Mrs. Ormond attend the First Presbyterian church of Maumee, Ohio. Mr. Ormond gives his political endorsement to the republican party and does everything in his power to promote its growth and secure its success. He has membership in the Toledo Commerce Club, belongs to the Northern Light Lodge, No. 40, F. & A. M., the Ancient Accepted Scotish Rite, Valley of Toledo, and Toledo Commandery, No. 7, Knights Templars. He also belongs to the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity and along strictly professional lines is connected with the Lucas County, Ohio State and American Bar associations. Throughout his life he has held to the highest ethical standards of the profession and has long merited the honor and position accorded him as one of the foremost representatives of the Toledo bar.

Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Lucas County, Ohio Biographies




New York


For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012