EMERY ELLSWORTH LUCAS
Among the varied lines of business which have contributed to the commercial development and prosperity of Toledo
the automobile industry occupies a prominent place and to this field of activity Emery Ellsworth Lucas has long
devoted his energies with gratifying results, for he is now controlling one of the leading sales agencies in the
city, while he is also identified with other important business enterprises, all of which profit by his keen sagacity
and progressive spirit. He was born in Redkey, Indiana, December 27, 1883, and his parents were B. E. and Caroline
(Gibbs) Lucas, both natives of Washington Court House, Ohio. The father later went to Indiana, in which state he
continued to reside until called to his final rest, devoting his attention to the management of a hotel. The mother
is still living and is now a resident of Greenville, Ohio. They were the parents of two children: Mrs. Elsie Klinger
of Muskegon, Michigan; and Emery Ellsworth.
In the acquirement of an education Emery Ellsworth Lucas attended the public schools of Redkey, Indiana, and he
then entered the West Texas Military Academy, taking up special work, but left that institution before completing
his course. In 1906 he secured a position with the Maxwell-Briscoe Company of Indiana and remained with them until
1912, when he became connected with the Studebaker Corporation of Detroit, Michigan, in the capacity of receiving
clerk, continuing in their service for two years. In 1914 he became identified with the Ford Motor Company of that
city and in 1916 came to Toledo, establishing the Lucas Auto Sales Company, of which he is the president. He handles
the Ford and Lincoln cars and the Ford tractors and is numbered among the leading automobile dealers of the city.
Mr. Lucas combines a detailed knowledge of the business with keen discernment and executive ability and his aggressive
methods and straightforward dealing have enabled him to build up a large trade. This constitutes but one phase
of his activities, however, for he is serving as vice president of the Anderson-Roberts Manufacturing Company,
treasurer of the Auto Sales & Appraisals Company and manager of the Scientific Farm Products Company, all of
which are prosperous business enterprises of this city.
In Detroit, on the 24th of February, 1913, Mr. Lucas was married to Miss Leah Lasca, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Paul Lasca of that city. Mr. and Mrs. Lucas have three children: Emery E., Jr., whose birth occurred in Detroit
in 1914 and who is now attending the public schools; Shirley, who was born in Toledo in 1918; and William, born
in December, 1920. Mr. and Mrs. Lucas are members of the Roman Catholic church and his political allegiance is
given to the republican party. Fraternally he is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and in
social circles of the city he is well known as a member of the Inverness, Lions, Toledo, Toledo Yacht, Toledo Automobile
and Commerce clubs. He has made steady progress since starting out in the business world and his career is proof
of the fact that there is yet room at the top, even under the dose competitive conditions of the business world
of today, if the individual has the required ability, force and efficiency. He is continually broadening the scope
of his activities with good results and in the conduct of his business affairs he displays that spirit of enterprise
which works for individual success and also constitutes a. factor in public prosperity. His residence is at No.
2933 Collingwood avenue.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium