WILLIAM BERNARD HILLEBRAND
Much of the commercial prestige which Toledo today enjoys is directly attributable to the civic loyalty and business
enterprise of her native sons, whose well directed efforts have constituted a most important element in the upbuilding
and development of the city. To this Class belongs William Bernard Hillebrand, who for eighteen years has devoted
his attention to the building and contracting business, and while he has gained individual prosperity, his labors
have also contributed materially to the improvement and advancement of his city. He was born in Toledo, June 29,
1881, and his parents were Frank J. C. and Christina (Meyer) Hillebrand, the former a native of Cincinnati and
the latter of Toledo. The father became a member of the firm of Hillebrand Brothers, conducting one of the largest
furniture establishments of Toledo, and he is still a resident of the city, while the mother is also living. Six
children have been born of their marriage: Leo S., whose biographical record appears elsewhere in this work; William
Bernard; Frank B., whose home is in Detroit, Michigan; Mrs. Richard F. Schneider of Toledo; Sister Mary Constance,
who is connected with Mercy Hospital of Ann Arbor; and Cletus, who has passed away.
In the acquirement of an education William Bernard Hillebrand attended St. Peter's parochial school and the Tri
State Business College of Toledo and following his graduation from the latter institution he secured a clerical
position with the John Mockett Company, well known clothiers of this city, with whom he remained for a short time.
He then entered the employ of The Schillinger Brothers Company but left their service at the end of ten months
to embark in business on his own account and on the 23d of May, 1906, he became a member of the firm of Hummel
Hillebrand, his partner being William A. Hummel, a prominent business man of this city. They specialize in concrete
construction work and rank with the leading building contractors of the city. They own a large tract of land, on
which they have their offices and equipment, and many examples of their skill and handiwork are to be found in
Toledo. Their reputation has spread beyond the limits of the city and they have been awarded important contracts
in various parts of the country. They have about one hundred employes and their business is a large and rapidly,
On the 23d of May, 1911, Mr. Hillebrand was married to Miss Mary A. Werle. a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Anton Werle
of Toledo, and they have become the parents of four children: Helen, who was born June 27, 1912, and is attending
St. Patrick's parochial school of this city; Lucille, who was born September 14, 1913, and is also a pupil at that
school; William, born April 14, 1917; and Leonard, born June 27, 1919. Mr. and Mrs. Hillebrand are communicants
of the Roman Catholic church and he is a member of the Knights of Columbus, in which he has taken the third degree.
He is also identified with the Builders Exchange, the Commerce Club and the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks,
while his political allegiance is given to the republican party. Mr. Hilllebrand is a self made man who has been
both the architect and builder of his own fortune, and the methods which he has used have at all times balanced
up with the principles of honor and integrity. He occupies a position of leadership in the field in which he is
operating, and his work, which is of high character and uniform excellence, is a credit to the city and a feature
in its substantial improvement. Mr. Hillebrand's residence is at No. 427 Belmont avenue.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium