Charles K. Friedman, attorney and counselor at law, who has made for himself a creditable position in professional
circles, is even more widely known because of his valuable contribution to interests and activities of public moment.
There is no plan or project instituted for the benefit and upbuilding of Toledo, or for the welfare of state and
nation, which does not receive his endorsement and to a large degree his active cooperation. Toledo is indebted
to him in substantial measure for his work in her behalf and it is characteristic of Mr. Friedman that he studies
closely and thoroughly every question that bears upon the general good. When his judgment passes upon the advisability
of a course, he never stops short in his efforts until the objective point is reached.
Charles K. Friedman was born in Toledo, January 14, 1873, and is a son of Morris and Fannie (Tyreler) Friedman,
both of whom were natives of Austria-Hungary. They came to America in early life. Residing for many years in this
city, the father became well known as a cigar manufacturer here and developed a business of very gratifying proportions.
Both he and his wife passed away in this city. In their family were five children: Aaron, now living in Toledo;
John Henry, of Canton, Ohio; Louis M., who resided at Los Angeles, California, where his death occurred in 1923;
Mrs. Celia M. Kruckman, also of Toledo; and Charles Knox.
At the usual age Charles Knox Friedman entered the public schools and mastered the work of successive grades until
he completed a course in the high school and Manual Training School of this city. A desire to prepare at once for
his life work led him to enter the University of Michigan as a law student, for he had determined to devote his
attention to law practice, and qualified therefor by a thorough course of instruction at Ann Arbor, where he received
his LL. B. degree in 1893, while his LL. M. degree was conferred upon him the following yearn. Following his graduation
he returned to his native city, where he opened a law office and engaged in active practice, making steady advancement
in his chosen calling For nine years he filled the position of assistant city solicitor of Toledo and throughout
the remaining period he has given his attention to private law practice. At the same time he has extended his efforts
along commercial and financial lines and is a director of the H. M. &. R. Shoe Company of Toledo, having one
of the largest shoe establishments of the city, and is a director of the Loew's Valentine Theatre Company. He is
also connected with some realty companies and his name is on the directorate list of the Landman-Griffith Company
and the Toledo Mortgage Company. His knowledge of corporation law and the soundness of his judgment in all business
affairs have made his cooperation and assistance a valuable asset in the conduct of all the different business
concerns with which he is identified.
On the 1st of June, 1898, Mr. Friedman was united in marriage to Miss Nuna Landman of Toledo, daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Isaac Landman. Mr. and Mrs. Friedman have two children: Stanley M., who was born in this city November 6,
1899, is a graduate of the Toledo high school, an A. B. graduate of the University of Michigan; received his LL.
B. degree at Harvard, and was admitted to the bar in Ohio in 1922. During the World war he was a member of the
Students' Army Training Corps at Fort Sheridan, Illinois; James K the younger son, born in. Toledo, October 15,
1904, is attending the University of Michigan.
Mr. Friedman belongs to the Lucas County, Ohio State and American Bar associations, and is also a member of the
Phi Gamma Delta fraternity. He belongs to the Masonic order, in which he has attained the thirty second degree
of the Scottish Rite and the beneficent principles of Masonry find expression in his life. While his law practice
has steadily grown in volume and importance he has never allowed it to monopolize his time and efforts but has
found opportunity to aid and cooperate in many public projects looking to the benefit and upbuilding of the city
and state. He acted as president of the Collingwood Avenue temple and president of the Toledo Federation of Jewish
Charities. He was manager of the salvage department of the Toledo Chapter of the Red Cross during the World war,
is now on the Board of Trustees of Toledo Chapter, Red Cross, is chairman of the Toledo Americanization Board,
is a trustee of the Social Service Federation, a member of the Community Recreation Commission of Toledo, and a
member of the board of trustees of the Glengarry Country Club. His work is, indeed, far reaching and resultant
He has closely studied them grave economic and sociological problems before the country, has stood most stanchly
and helpfully for Americanization work and for those organized efforts which are bringing into the lives of the
less fortunate something of the sunshine and joy that is known to those to whom fate has been seemingly kinder.
He has recognized the value of recreation in those communities where there is little opportunity for play and thoroughly
understands the principle that if life produces well rounded development, the individual must not only work well
but play well. Toledo's progress in this direction owes not a little to his earnest, zealous and effective efforts.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium