OLIVER GILES COMSTOCK, M. D.
In the death of Dr. Oliver Giles Comstock, Toledo mourned the loss of one whose life was of great usefulness and
value to the city and whose memory remains as a blessed benediction to all who knew him. A native of Sylvania,
Ohio, he was born on the 29th of September, 1835, his parents being Giles and Electa (Vroman) Comstock, who resided
on a farm in that locality. Oliver Giles Comstock obtained his early education in the public schools of Sylvania
and afterward attended the high school at Adrian, Michigan. Later he continued his studies in Ann Arbor and at
Ypsilanti, Michigan, and eventually he pursued a three years course of study in the Toledo Medical College at Toledo,
where he won his professional degree. Throughout his life he was of most studious nature, constantly broadening
his knowledge and promoting his efficiency through wide reading and scientific research. After completing his course
of study in Toledo he went to Detroit, where he engaged in the practice of medicine for some time, returning to
this city in 1890 and here remaining until his demise, maintaining his home and office at No. 1530 Western avenue.
He also occupied the chair of physiology in the Toledo Medical College for a time and he was surgeon general for
the canton of Odd Fellows. His private practice was very extensive and for eight years he filled the position of
city physician. He enjoyed wide popularity among his brethren of the profession because of his deference for the
opinions of others and his close conformity to the highest ethical standards. He was for a long time a member of
the staff of the Toledo Hospital and he there maintained a ward for children. He was greatly loved among the poor,
not only by reason of professional assistance rendered them without remuneration but also because of his kindly
aid in many another way. It is said that he was constantly seen with a bundle which contained some needed article
for an unfortunate one in whom he was interested.
In his political views Dr. Comstock was always a stanch republican and he was a member of the Lincoln Republican
Club. He belonged to the Knights of Pythias, to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, to the Knights and Ladies
of Security and to the city, county and state medical societies. His religious faith was indicated in his membership
in the Broadway Methodist church and he served on its official board. Throughout his life he sought not only that
advancement which means material gain but also sought promotion in that broader field of religious experience which
draws the individual closer and closer into harmony with the laws of God. He recognized the brotherhood of man
and this was continually manifest in his liberal charity and kindliness, many families being the special objects
of his bounty, while at no time did he withhold a helping hand where he could render assistance. One of his methods
of recreation was the cultivation of flowers, of which he was very fond. He also derived great pleasure from the
study of birds and dogs and he loved nature in every form. Each yearn he would make his way to the forest for a
fishing trip and at the same time would find keen pleasure in the study of, birds and nature in general. He made
his life a practice ground for the life to come and was constantly reaching out into the broader realm of thought
and of service.
On the 10th of September, 1890, in Cleveland, Ohio, Dr. Comstock was united in marriage to Miss Alvretta Perkins,
a daughter of Horace A. and Naomi Perkins, the former a native of Trenton, Michigan, and a machinist by trade.
Mrs. Comstock, like her husband, has been keenly interested in all those forces which make for uplift and cultural
progress. She is a lady of innate refinement of nature and her life has been fraught with many good deeds. For
fifteen years she belonged to the Educational Club of Toledo. In 1890 she was a member of the board of the Humane
Society and she is widely known for her church work and her many benevolent enterprises. She has taken part in
all sorts of charitable work in connection with the Western Avenue Methodist Episcopal church and was the organizer
and is the president of the Invincible Society, composed of a number of young ladies and recognized as one of the
most flourishing of the church societies of the city. She has done a large amount of charitable work in a quiet
way through the ladies auxiliary to. the Humane Society and through her assistance a number of needy children have
been clothed and kept in school. At the present writing she is heading a movement to establish a home for girls
in a part of the city where such an institution is much needed. She was the president of the Door of Hope for two
years and later this was changed to the Flower Home for Girls. She belongs to the Rebekah Lodge, the Pythian Sisters
and to the Toledo Relief Corps. She is a member of the Mental Culture Club and has always been keenly interested
in literature, while her contributions to the meetings of the literary clubs with which she is identified have
been of a most instructive and entertaining character. She recently read a paper full of pretty conceits which
was most widely and favorably commented upon and which she called "The Strange Story df the Flowers,"
comparing them to people, finding a similarity between the long, slender; graceful leaf and the refined oval face;
the sharp, broad leaf and the broad, happy face; the coarse, rough leaf and the coarse, irregular features of some
faces; and similar interesting comparisons. The little stanza telling how the forget me not got its name was quoted
and other pretty fragments from her pen. Both Dr. and Mrs. Comstock contributed much toward the work of making
the world a better and. brighter place in which to live, and while his memory is cherished and revered by all with
whom he came into contact, she is still carrying on the great work to which their lives had been dedicated the
work of uplift and progress along intellectual and moral lines. It was on the 29th of October, 1913, that Dr. Comstock
was called to his final rest.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium