WILLIAM WASHINGTON COLDHAM, M. D.
The attractiveness of Toledo as a place of residence is manifest in the fact that a large majority of her native
sons have remained within her borders, enjoying the countless opportunities for business progress and advancement.
Among those representing the medical profession here who are natives of the city is Dr. William Washington Coldham,
who since preparing for the practice of medicine and surgery has remained here. He was born on the 22d of February,
1865, and is a son of James and Anna (Williams) Coldham. He pursued his early education in the public schools of
Toledo and then went to Toronto, Canada, where he entered the Trinity University, in which he prepared for his
chosen calling, winning the M. D. C. M. degree. He has also studied in London, England, and throughout his career
has availed himself of every opportunity to promote his knowledge and advance his efficiency through wide study
and scientific research and investigation. With his return to Toledo he opened an office and has since engaged
in practice here. The years have chronicled his success and he enjoys the reputation of being most careful in diagnosis,
while in his expression as to the outcome of disease he is seldom, if ever, at fault He is keenly interested in
anything that tends to bring to man the key to the complex mystery which we call life and he has kept in touch
with the trend of modern professional thought and progress through his membership in the Academy of Medicine and
in the American Medical Association. For fifteen years he has been chief of staff in St. Vincent's Hospital, doing
splendid work there in connection with his large private practice.
On the 29th of October, 1889, in Toledo, Dr. Coldham was united in marriage to Miss Kathryn Shaw, a daughter of
E. C. Shaw. They have become the parents of three daughters: Winters, now the wife of John E. Cameron; Kathryn,
who married David Robison; and Anna Carrol, at home.
Dr. and Mrs. Coldharn are members of St. Mark's Episcopal church. He belongs to the Inverness Golf Club and his
military record covers service as surgeon of the First Ohio Battery of the National Guard from 1887 until 1893.
The major part of his time and attention has always been concentrated upon his professional interests and duties,
which he has ever performed with a sense of conscientious obligation, and by reason of his developing powers he
has advanced steadily to the front in his chosen calling, being long well known as a leading and capable physician
and surgeon of Toledo.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium