For a quarter of a century Dr. W. T. Burke has engaged in the practice of medicine in Toledo and the passing
years have firmly established his position among the leading physicians of the city. He was born in Northfield,
Washtenaw county, Michigan, February 2, 1868, a son of Edward and Mary (Rogan) Burke, both of whom were natives
of Ireland and in childhood were brought by their parents to the United States, the father being but eight years
of age at that time, while the mother was a year younger. The paternal grandparents first settled in Pennsylvania,
later removing to Michigan, and on reaching manhood Edward Burke took up the occupation of farming, which he continued
to follow in the Wolverine state until his death. Mrs. Burke has also passed away. Seven children were born of
their union, five of whom survive, namely: Rev. Anthony Burke, who was for many years pastor of a church at Battle
Creek, Michigan, but is now living retired in southern California; Dr. Charles J. Burke, a prominent dentist of
Battle Creek; Edward and James Burke, residents of Northfield, Michigan; and Dr. W. T. Burke of this review.
The last named attended the grammar schools of Northfield and the high school at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and then
entered the State University in that city, winning his M. D. degree in 1895. After his graduation he went to northern
Pennsylvania, where he remained for two years, acting in a professional capacity for several coal mining companies
in that locality. In 1897 he came to Toledo, where he has since made his home, and is now a member of the medical
staff of Mercy Hospital, being also connected with the auxiliary staff of St. Vincent's Hospital. His professional
labors have been attended with gratifying success and his practice has steadily grown in volume and importance
as he has demonstrated his ability to cope with the intricate problems which continually confront the physician
in his efforts to restore health and prolong life.
Dr. Burke is a loyal supporter of the city because of his belief in its opportunities and has shown his faith in
its future by judicious real estate investments, his property being situated on Monroe street. He is a communicant
of St. Patrick's Roman Catholic church and his professional relations are with the Toledo Academy of Medicine,
the Lucas County and Ohio State Medical societies and the American Medical Association. He stands high in the regard
of his professional colleagues and his ambition keeps him abreast with the trend of the times in the field of modern
medical and surgical practice.
Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo
Lucas County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium