Biography of W. Frank Bradley
Lucas County, OH Biographies

Among the productive industries which have contributed to Toledo's commercial upbuilding and prosperity is that of the Ohio & Michigan Sand & Gravel Company, of which W. Frank Bradley is the president, and the Cadillac Sand & Gravel Company, of which he is the manager. He was born at Upper Sandusky, Ohio, April 11, 1859, a son of James K. and Mary (Rubendale) Bradley, the former a native of New York state and the latter of Ohio. The father was a veteran of the Civil war, enlisting as a private in an Indiana regiment, serving throughout the period of hostilities. He was a successful business man, devoting his attention to the operation of a planing mill, and he later moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana. His demise occurred in 1898. The mother is now a resident of Fort Wayne, Indiana.

In the acquirement of an education W. Frank Bradley attended the public schools at Fort Wayne, Indiana., and later took up the study of engineering in a private technical school. After completing the course he secured a position as mechanical draftsman with the Toledo & Ohio Central Railroad and the Kanawha & Michigan Railway, and was actively connected with the construction of these lines from Toledo to Charleston, West Virginia. His capacity and fidelity to the interests in his charge led to his promotion to the position of master mechanic of the Kanawha & Michigan Railway, which position he continued to fill until 1891, when he resigned to become superintendent of motive power and later superintendent of the Ann Arbor Railroad. He remained with that road from 1891 until 1908 and then organized the Ohio & Michigan Sand & Gravel Company, of which he is president. He later took part in the organization of the Cadillac Sand & Gravel Company, of which he is the manager. The undertakings have enjoyed a substantial growth. marketing from six thousand to ten thousand cars of sand and gravel per year, incident to the rapid development of concrete construction and highway improvements. The gravel deposits of the companies are located at Chilson and Fleming Creek, Michigan, and they supply sand and gravel to the cities through this section, the principal markets being Detroit and Toledo, for building and pavement purposes.

At Fort Wayne, Indiana. on the 18th of September, 1887, Mr. Bradley was married to Miss. Mary Ellen Babcock, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Babcock, former residents of Napoleon, Ohio. Two daughters were born to this union: Marie, the wife of H. C. Ellis. who is a native of Charleston, West Virginia, but was educated in the public schools of Toledo. and in Columbia University, New York, and is now a resident of the city; and Miss Helen L. Bradley, who was born at Durand, Michigan, is a graduate of the Scott high school of Toledo, and later attended the University of Michigan, and graduated from the Law-Froebel School, Toledo, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Bradley are members of the First Congregational church of Toledo. He served on the building committee which had charge of the erection of the Collingwood Avenue church of that denomination. He gives his political allegiance to the republican party and is a member, of the Masonic lodge and the Commerce and Exchange clubs. His life has been active in these interests. His residence is at No. 2274 Robinwood avenue.

Toledo and Lucas County, Ohio
BY: John M. Killits, A.M., LL.D.
S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago and Toledo

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Lucas County, Ohio Biographies




New York


For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012