REV. LYMAN SHARP, minister of the United Brethren Church, P. 0. Findlay, was born in Eagle Township, this county,
February 7, 1836. His father, Jacob Sharp, a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, of Welsh descent, came with John
D Bishop to this county, about 1832, and entered 160 acres of land in Section 23, Eagle Township; he was a blacksmith
by trade, and carried on a shop in that line on his farm for many years; in 1835 he married Miss Julia Ann Whitman,
a native of Orleans County, N. Y., an only child. When Mrs. Sharp was an infant her mother died, and, her father
being killed by the explosion of a cannon at Albion, N. Y., she was reared by her uncle, Benjamin 0. Whitman, with
whom she came to this county. Mr. and Mrs Jacob Sharp lived on their farm in Eagle Township, this county, until
her death from cholera, in 1854. Jacob Sharp afterward married again, and after living about seven years in Hardin
County, Ohio, he moved to Whitley County, Ind., and in 1867 to Clinton County, Mich., where he died July 5, 1871,
in his sixty third year. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father' s farm, in Eagle Township, this county,
and attended the schools of the home district, also one term in the Findlay school. He joined the United Brethren
Church May 20, 1855. During his youth he was engaged in teaching; he taught for three terms in Eagle Township,
this county, and two terms in Allen County, Ind. Mr. Sharp was united in marriage, October 16, 1859, with Miss
Polly A. Line, who was born June 6. 1837, in Eagle Township, this county, daughter of the pioneer, Coonrad Line.
Immediately after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Sharp settled where they now reside, in Eagle Township, this county,
where they have a fine farm of eighty acres of well improved land. To Mr. and Mrs. Sharp have been born five children:
Mrs. Catharine E. Reider. of Bowling Green, Ohio; J. C. Fremont; Matilda Jane; William Milton and Florence Luella.
Mr. Sharp has been a devoted member of the church of his choice (United Brethren), and in 1859 he was licensed
as an exhorter. In 1870 the quarterly conference gave him a license to preach, and in 1875 he was licensed by the
annual conference, since which time he has been regularly engaged in the work of the ministry He has filled the
following circuits: Bellmore, two years; Bluffton, two years; Vanlue, one year; Blanchard, one year; Eden two years,
and is now completing his second year on the West Independence Circuit. Mr. Sharp is very earnest in the cause
of the gospel, devoting to it the best energies of his life His wife and all his children, except the youngest.
are members of the church. Our subject is a life long Republican: has held the office of clerk of Eagle Township
for one term, and takes a deep interest in public affairs. From May 2 to September 2, 1864, he served as a soldier
in the One Hundred and Thirty fourth Regiment, Ohio National Guards.
History of Madison County, Ohio
Published by: Warner, Beers and Company
Chicago, Illinois 1886
Hancock County, Ohio Biographies
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium