Biography of Aaron F. Burson
Hancock County, OH Biographies





AARON FENTON BURSON, retired physician, Mt. Blanchard, was born August 27, 1812, in Loudoun County, Va., son of George and Susanna (Kent) Burson, who settled in Columbiana County, Ohio, in 1818. They reared a family of nine children, the Doctor being their seventh child. After receiving a literary education our subject entered upon the study of medicine, in 1829, under the celebrated Dr. George McCook, Professor of Surgery in the University at Baltimore, Ad., and father of Gen. McCook. Dr. Burson completed his course in the Ohio Medical College, at Cincinnati, and in 1832 began the practice of his chosen profession at Mt. Blanchard, this county, where he has since resided. He was the first physician in Delaware Township, and also the first physician in this part of the county. He was widely known for his skill and success in treating milk sickness and the numerous malarial troubles which afflicted the pioneers of the early days. He built up a very large practice, which extended into parts of several of the adjoining counties, and, on retiring, in 1862, he found it very difficult to relinquish his connection. But, having acquired a competency, and findi g that, after having practiced medicine for over thirty years, further active interest in the profession would be injurious to his health, he retired, and for years has devoted himself to experimental chemistry. Dr. Burson has discovered a process for producing engravings by light and electricity, a process by which a reproduction of photographs, drawings, engravings, etc., can be produced in the most minute detail, and either in relievo or intaglio, as desired. A brief outline of his process, which the Doctor has named " Helio chemical Engraving," may be here given: A metal plate is first highly polished, then sensitized to light and placed under the drawing, photograph or other object desired to be reproduced. It is then exposed to the light for a short time, and after certain manipulations, the plate is placed in the decomposition cell of a galvanic battery, and left there long enough to receive a metallic deposit, which elevates the lights and leaves the shades sunken, so that the shades will hold ink, and impressions can be taken from the plate by means of a press; or, after silver or gold has been deposited on the lights, the plate itself may be framed and kept, the same as a photograph, engraving or other picture.

From:
History of Madison County, Ohio
Published by: Warner, Beers and Company
Chicago, Illinois 1886


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Hancock County, Ohio Biographies

Online
Biographies

Pennsylvania
Histories

New York
Histories

New York
Histories

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium