Starling Sullivant Wilcox. - One of the well known physicians and surgeons of Columbus, Ohio, was born June
29, 1864, at 48 South Third St. He is the son of James Andrews Wilcox, grandson of Phineas Bacon Wilcox and Joseph
Sullivant and great grandson of Lucas Sullivant, founder of Columbus.
Doctor Wilcox has practiced the profession of medicine in Columbus, over a period of nearly thirty six years and
is a veteran of two wars. He received his early education in the public schools of Columbus, attending Sullivant
School on East State Street and Central High School, southeast corner of Broad and Sixth streets. Later, he acquired
a more extended education in the East, graduating from Phillips Exeter Academy in the class of '83. Deciding upon
the practice of medicine as a life's work, he 'studied under Dr. Starling Loving and was graduated with honors
from Starling Medical College, Columbus, Ohio, in the class of 1888. The following year he took post graduate work
in the cities of Philadelphia and New York and was also appointed assistant surgeon to the Out door Department
of Chamber's Street Hospital. In 1890, he was appointed assistant surgeon to the National Military Home for Disabled
Volunteer Soldiers, which position he ably filled for a period of four years.
On April 25, 1894, Doctor Wilcox was married to Sarah Montgomery McCoy, only daughter of Major Milton McCoy and
Katherine Krouse, both members of pioneer families of Chillicothe, Ohio. Two sons were born to Doctor and Mrs.
Wilcox: James Milton on July 29, 1895, and Starling Suilivant, Jr., on January 12, 1898. Both these boys later
served in the World War.
James Milton Wilcox married Dorothy Hepford, daughter of Charles Hepford, a representative citizen of Glenolden,
Pennsylvania. From this union, Shirley Ellen Wilcox and Lyne Sullivant Taylor Wilcox were born.
Starling Sullivant, Jr., married Ann Gregg Willard, daughter of Dr. Geo. W. Williard, a well known physician of
Columbus, Ohio. From this union, Starling Sullivant Wilcox, 3rd, George Bacon Wilcox and Sarah Henderson Wilcox,
After his marriage, Dr. Wilcox began the practice of medicine in Columbus, and in 1896, was appointed to the chair
of genitourinary diseases, Starling Medical College, which he ably filled until the time of his wife's death, which
occurred November 14, 1899. After which, he offered his services to his country and was ordered to the Philippine
Islands as surgeon, with the rank of first lieutenant.
After serving some fourteen months in the Philippines, by his own request, he was ordered to the Columbus Barracks
for duty, pending his honorable discharge. Upon the expiration of his service in the U. S. Army, he resumed his
professional duties in Columbus, Ohio.
His chair in the college had been reserved for him and he was teaching when Starling Medical College and the Ohio
Medical University merged and also when the combined colleges, known as the Starling Ohio Medical College became
the Medical Department of the Ohio State University.
In 1906, realizing the importance of further perfecting himself, he took a post graduate course in Philadelphia
and upon his return to Columbus, he gave a practical demonstration, before the Academy of Medicine, illustrating
the advantages of electrical illumination in the examination of the bladder.
Doctor Wilcox is the author of a treatise pertaining to the subject of his chair and at one time was visiting surgeon
to the Ohio Penitentiary, surgeon in charge of the College Dispensary and visiting surgeon to St. Francis Hospital,
meeting his students in the same ampitheatre where he himself witnessed clinics as a student. At the present time,
he is a member of the staff of Grant Hospital and enjoys the operating privileges of St. Francis, Mt. Carmel, St.
Anthony's and Mercy Hospitals.
The Doctor is a member of the Columbus Academy of Medicine, the Ohio State Medical Society, the American Medical
Association and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is also a member of the Alpha Kappa Kappa Medical
Society; a member of the Starling Loving Medical Society, a member of the Columbus Camp No. 49 Spanish American
War Veterans and was surgeon to that Camp during 1920.
On June 23, 1917, Doctor Wilcox was appointed chief examiner on the Franklin County Conscription Board No. 1, where
he served until he was commissioned as captain in the Medical Officers Reserve Corps. On January 14, 1918, he was
ordered to active duty and instructed to report to the commanding general at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, for duty
in the Genito-Urinary Department at the Base Hospital. While in that capacity, he had a wonderful and varied experience
including major surgery, medical work and executive duties. He was selected to lecture to different groups of officers
and drew upon a wealth of clinical material, furnished from the five wards, over which he had jurisdiction. Upon
his return to Columbus, after the close of the war, Doctor Wilcox opened his former office.
The care of the disabled soldier of the World War was a problem of great interest to Doctor Wilcox and after a
conference with Seventh District Headquarters of the U. S. Public Health Service, located at Cincinnati, Ohio,
relative to taking up government work, he accepted the appointment of State Supervisor, December 28, 1919, with
headquarters in Columbus. In the early part of 1921, the three great divisions caring for the disabled soldier,
namely, the U. S. Public Health Service, the Bureau of War Risk Insurance and the Federal Board of Vocational Training,
were merged into one bureau, known as the U. S. Veterans Bureau. The plan of decentralization was carried out to
such a degree that the Seventh District, comprising Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky had to be revamped. The office of
State Supervisor was abolished and the Columbus office was made a Sub-District office. Later a plan was devised
by which the government owned hospitals were to be taken over by the U. S. Veterans Bureau, with a personnel drawn
from the officers of the Medical Reserve Corps. Those in active service were given a choice between continuing
with the U. S. Veteran's Bureau, subject to transfer or accepting an appointment under civil service, as civilian
employes of the U. S. Veterans Bureau.
Desiring to remain in Columbus, Doctor Wilcox elected the latter course and after passing the required examination,
continued the work in his home town under the title of Sub-District Medical Officer. At one time, the Sub-District
Office located in the Stoneman Building, 335 South High Street, had a personnel, including Special Examiners under
a fee basis, capable of caring for the cases of some ten thousand disabled soldiers of the World War. As the volume
of work gradually became less and less, the Sub-District Office was abolished and a Treatment Station was established
in the Federal Bulding, February 15, 1928, capable of carrying on the work, relative to some three thousand claimants,
located in the counties allocated to it.
The Doctor continued as chief surgeon of the station until the spring of 1928, when due to illness, he asked for
and was granted a leave of absence. Having partly recovered, he resumed his duties, with the intention of carrying
on until the summer of 1929, at which time he would have reached the age of retirement. In July of that year, the
Doctor tendered his resignation, which was accepted without prejudice.
After a month's rest, Dr. Wilcox had so far regained his health, that he resumed private practice in Columbus,
September 1st, 1929, at 185 East State Street, this office being only a few feet east of his first location in
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium