Campbell M. Voorhees. - Closely allied with the civic, fraternal and legal activities of Columbus, Campbell
M. Voorhees is one of the prominent attorneys of Franklin County. He was born at Coshocton, Ohio, December 23,
1866, the son of Richard M. and Georgiana (Burt) Voorhees.
Richard M. Voorhees, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War and for many years a leading attorney of Coshocton,
also having served as judge of the Fifth Judicial Circuit for a period of sixteen years. Hee was born in Harrison
County, Ohio, October 6, 1838, and died in Coshocton, July 15, 1915. His wife, born at Coshocton, June 27, 1843,
died in June, 1917. Both are buried at Coshocton. Mr. Voorhees was educated in the district schools of Harrison
County and was a graduate of Hopedale Academy and Hiram College. He was a school chum of Gen. George A. Custer.
Mr. Voorhees taught school and read law at Millersburg, Ohio, in the office of his brother, Carolus F. Voorhees,
who for a time was associated in practice with Edwin F. Stanton, former secretary of war under President Lincoln.
Richard M. Voorhees was admitted to the Ohio bar in July, 1860, and was associated in practice with the late Judge
Thomas Campbell. At the outbreak of the Civil War he was the presiding officer at a meeting held at Coshocton,
which was called by President Lincoln. He was the first to enlist from that city and became a member of the Sixteenth
Ohio Volunteer Infantry. After three months in the service he reenlisted in Company F, Sixty fifth Ohio Volunteer
Infantry, which was part of the Sherman brigade, named after Senator John Sherman, stationed at Camp Buckingham,
near Mansfield, Ohio. Mr. Voorhees was commissioned a captain in November, 1861, and served with his company until
December 31, 1862, when he was severely wounded at Stone River, or Murfeysboro, near Nashville, Tennessee. Throughout
the remainder of the war he was assigned to special work. While on a furlough in November, 1862, Captain Voorhees
married Miss Georgiana Burt. After the termination of his service he went to Kansas City, Missouri, where he practiced
law with his brother, who had removed there. He later established his practice at Coshocton, Ohio, in partnership
with Judge Campbell, until the latter's death, July 5, 1881. Mr. Voorhees was later associated with the late Charles
B. Hunt, until the latter was elected Probate Judge. In 1894, after his graduation from the Law School of Ohio
State University, Burt F. Voorhees became a member of his father's firm. In February, 1899, the father, Richard
M. Voorhees, was elected judge of the Fifth Judicial District, which consisted of fifteen counties. He was reelected
to this office in 1908 and served in that capacity until the time of his retirement in February, 1915. Mr. Voorhees
was a Democrat, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was first commander of Richard Laning Post, Grand Army
of the Republic. He also belonged to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. To Richard M. and Georgiana (Burt)
Voorhees were born three children: Campbell M., the subject of this sketch; Burt F., attorney, Columbus; and Georgiana,
married Arthur Woelfle, artist, Flushing, Long Island.
The Voorhees family originally came from New Jersey where the great grandfather of Campbell M. Voorhees settled
at an early date. He fought throughout the Revolutionary War and later removed to Fayette County, Pennsylvania,
where he died in 1809 His son located in Jefferson County, Ohio, and later removed to Harrison County, where he
Campbell M. Voorhees acquired a city school education and after his graduation from Coshocton High School in 1885
entered the Pension Department of the United States government at Columbus. He entered the University of Wooster
in 1887 and three years later became a student at the University of Michigan, where he received the degree of LL.
B. in 1893. He was admitted to the Ohio bar in December, 1892. After his graduation he came to Columbus, where
he formed a partnership with his cousin, Charles W. Voorhees, under the firm name of Voorhees & Voorhees. At
the death of Charles W. Voorhees, December 19, 1898, Campbell M. Voorhees became associated with George W. Carpenter.
This firm was dissolved in 1919 and Mr. Voorhees has since practiced alone. He has offices at 51 North High Street.
In 1900 Mr. Voorhees was united in marriage with Miss Mary Alberta Robinson, the daughter of George and Mary Jane
(Pennington) Robinson. Mr. Robinson, a native of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, was a veteran of the Civil War. He served
as county treasurer of Belmont County and came to Columbus in 1895, where he was identified with the Columbus Bolt
Works until his retirement in 1925. Both he and his wife are deceased and are buried in Columbus. Mr. and Mrs.
Voorhees have a daughter, Jane, who lives at home. She is a graduate of the Columbus School for Girls and at the
present time is an instructor in the Art Department of that institution.
Mr. Voorhees is a member of the Franklin Park Methodist Episcopal Church, and has the following lodge affiliations:
Magnolia Lodge, No. 20, Free and Accepted Masons, past master; past grand master of the Grand Lodge of Ohio; Ohio
Chapter Royal Arch Masons No. 12; Mount Vernon Commandery, K. T. No. 1, past commander; past grand commander of
the Knights Templar of Ohio; Scioto Consistory, Thirty second degree, and crowned at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania,
in September, 1916, as a Thirty third degree Mason in the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction of America: Ach-Bar Grotto,
M. O. V. P. E. R.; Aladdin Temple, past potentate in 1919; Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 37; and
Junior Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, No. 474, past noble grand.
Politically Mr. Voorhees is a Democrat. He is former secretary of the Franklin County Bar Association and is a
member of the Ohio State Bar Association.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium