William Sloss Van Fossen, M. D., whose practice is limited to the treatment of the eye, ear, nose and throat,
is recognized as one of the highly successful physicians and surgeons of Columbus. He was born in Williams County,
Ohio, November 6, 1877, the son of John W. and Eliza Jane (Gillis) Van Fossen.
John W. Van Fossen was born on a farm in Licking County, Ohio, February 11, 1834. He engaged in general farming
throughout his life and died October 31, 1912. His wife, who died December 27, 1918, was the daughter of William
and Jane (McLaren) Gillis. Both Mr. and Mrs. Van Fossen are buried at Orland, Indiana. Their children were: Harvey
G., farmer, lives near Athens, Michigan; Floy, married George A. Heath, real estate, lives at Ypsilanti, Michigan;
Roy A., farmer, lives near Orland, Indiana; Jeanette, married Earl Salisbury, insurance, lives at Upland, Indiana;
Ellen, unmarried, lives in Columbus; and William Sloss, the subject of this sketch.
William Sloss Van Fossen obtained his early schooling in the district schools of Williams County. His family removed
to Orland, Indiana, in 1890 and he attended high school at that place. He also studied at the Tri-State Normal
School in Indiana and spent one year at Hillsdale, Michigan. He became principal of the Fremont (Indiana) High
School in 1901 and later entered the Ohio Medical University, Columbus, which later became the medical department
of Ohio State University, and from which he was graduated in 1906 with the degree of Doctor of Medicine. He then
entered the office of Dr. Frank S. Lott, of Columbus, as an assistant and five years later engaged in private practice.
In the meantime Doctor Van Fossen took graduate work in Chicago at the Postgraduate Medical School for Eye, Ear,
Nose and Throat. In 1911 he became associated with several other leading surgeons in the building of St. Clair
Hospital at 338 St. Clair Avenue, Columbus. This hospital has accommodations for thirty five beds and is thoroughly
modern in its appointments. Doctor Van Fossen is now president of the board of directors. He has also taken graduate
work in the Philadelphia Polyclinic Hospital. In 1917 Doctor Van Fossen removed his offices to 322 East State Street,
where he has an extensive practice, limited to the treatment of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat.
On April 5, 1908, Doctor Van Fossen was united in marriage with Miss Katherine Hobson, the daughter of George and
Louisa (Waltermire) Hobson, of Indiana. Mr. and Mrs. Hobson are deceased. Five children have been born to Doctor
and Mrs. Van Fossen, as follows: William Sloss, Jr., born October 18, 1911; John H., born May 28, 1913; Mildred,
born June 3, 1915; Theodore, born October 9, 1919; and Albert, born January 2, 1925.
Doctor Van Fossen is a member of Broad Street Presbyterian Church, and belongs to East Gate Lodge No. 603, Free
and Accepted Masons, Ohio Chapter, R. A. M., York Council, Columbus Commandery, Knights Templar, Aladdin Temple,
Mystic Shrine, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, Knights of Pythias, Red Men, and Alpha Kappa Kappa medical
fraternity. He is a member of the council of the Columbus Academy of Medicine, and belongs to the Eye, Ear, Nose
and Throat Society of Columbus, Ohio State Medical Society, and American Medical Association. Doctor Van Fossen
is a Republican in politics.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium