Burt J. Steele. - As president of the Capital Printing Company, 1255 North High Street, Mr. Steele is recognized
as one of the most capable and progressive business men of Columbus. He was born in a log cabin at Hayesville,
Ashland County, Ohio, June 1, 1871, the son of John and Sarah (Tipton) Steele.
John Steele, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War, and a member of one of the oldest and best known families
of Ohio. He was born at Hayesville and spent his early life there as a stone mason. He became a contractor and
built numerous bridges and culverts throughout Ashland County, his last contract being the Loudonville bridge on
Route No. 3. Mr. Steele served during the Civil War as a member of Company I, Thirty second Regiment, Ohio Volunteer
Infantry. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church, Knights of Pythias, and Grand Army of the Republic. Mr. Steele
died in 1903 and is buried at Hayesville. His wife was born in Columbus in 1846 and was a member of the pioneer
Tipton family of this city. It was her father who for many years was well known as a sausage manufacturer in Columbus.
His factory was located at Spring and High Streets. Mrs. Steele was born an the present site of the Chittenden
Hotel. She is now eighty four years of age and lives at Ashland, Ohio. Eight children were born to Mr. and Mrs.
Steele, four of whom survive: Burt J., the subject of this sketch; Elsie, married Benjamin Machol, lives in Cleveland,
Ohio; William H., associated in business with his brother, Burt J.; and Lucille, married E. P. McKinley, lives
at Ashland, Ohio.
Burt J. Steele attended the public schools of Hayesville. Throughout his business career he has been interested
in commercial printing, having learned the printer's trade when he was fourteen years of age. He came to Columbus
in 1901 to enter the employ of C. J. Jahn, publisher of the Weekly Law Bulletin and Ohio Law Journal, and remained
in his employ for a period of five years. He then spent five years with Sparr & Glenn, later was associated
with the Champlin Printing Company, Franklin Printing Company, Columbus Citizen, and Columbus Dispatch. Later,
he returned to the Franklin Printing Company as shop superintendent for five years. For a short time Mr. Steele
then conducted a grocery business at New Holland, Ohio, and in June, 1916, returned to Columbus and became associated
with Herman A. Rogers, owner of the Capital Printing Company. At the death of Mr. Rogers, in June, 1917, Mr. Steele
took charge of the business and later purchased it from the estate. They are commercial printers and carry on a
large volume of business annually.
In 1903 Mr. Steele married Miss Allie May Smith, of Columbus, the daughter of Calvin and Addie (Heim) Smith. He
was born at Fremont, Ohio, and died in 1892. His widow lives in Philadelphia. Four children were born to Mr. and
Mrs. Steele: Karl F., born December 6, 1908, is a graduate of Kemper Military School, Missouri, class of 1926,
now associated in business with his father, also holds a pilot's license and is identified with the Curtis Wright
Flying Service at Port Columbus, and recently sworn in by Sheriff Paul as an aerial deputy sheriff of Franklin
County, lives at 1421 Meadow Road, Columbus; Lucille Clara, born December 20, 1910, a graduate of North High School,
class of 1928, lives at Reading, Pennsylvania; William S., born March 3, 1915, attends North High School; and John
C., born May 1, 1917, attends Indianola Junior High School.
Politically, Mr. Steele is a Republican. He is a member of the Presbyterian Church and his wife belongs to the
Methodist Church. The family residence is located at 1484 North Fifth Street.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium