Edwin R. Sharp, chairman of the board of directors of the Huntington National Bank, has been associated with
the banking history of Columbus for over forty years, and rose to bank presidency from a messenger boy. He was
born at Groveport, Franklin County, in 1858, and represents one of the earliest pioneer families in this section
of the state. He was born not far from where his grandfather, John Sharp, made his original settlement on coming
to Ohio in 1809 from Pennsylvania. John Sharp took up land from the government in the southeastern part of Franklin
County. The father of the Columbus banker was Abram Sharp, who was born in Franklin County in 1819. He married
In 1869, when Edwin R. Sharp was eleven years old, the family moved to Columbus. He was educated in the public
schools of that city and soon after leaving school he went to work as a messenger boy in the Commercial National
Bank. This histitution was founded in 1868. He remained with it for several years, enjoying several promotions,
but in the latter part of 1891 withdrew to become associated with W. A. Hardesty, William F. Burdell, and others
in the founding of the State Savings Bank & Trust Company. This bank was opened in the old Chittenden Hotel
in 1892, and subsequently acquired the sixteen story building on 8 East Broad Street. Mr. Hardesty was the first
president of this bank. At his death he was succeeded by Mr. Sharp, who previously had been secretary and treasurer
of the company. Mr. Sharp and his active associate, Mr. Burdell, made the State Savings Bank one of the most substantial
banking houses in the city. Its board of directors represented some of the most important business and industrial
concerns there. The State Savings Bank & Trust Company' had capital stock of $400,000.00 and a surplus of 200,000.00.
In February, 1923, this bank was merged with the Huntington National Bank, the oldest bank of Columbus, founded
in 1866. The price agreed upon in the negotiations for the bank was $225.00 a share, a figure indicating the success
of the institution under the management of Mr. Sharp and Mr. Burdell. Since the merger Mr. Sharp has been chairman
of the board of directors of the Huntington National Bank.
As a young man Mr. Sharp was for two years a member of the Governor's Guard, the crack military organization of
Columbus during the seventies and eighties. He is a member of the Columbus Club, Athletic Club of Columbus, Scioto
Country Club, and Wyandotte Club.
Mr. Sharp married Miss Flora Field. She died several years ago. Their children are: Col. Edwin R., Jr., and Esther,
who is the wife of George T. Johnson, of Columbus. Colonel Sharp was with his command on the Mexican border during
1916. While in service during the World War he had several appointments, which culminated in the rank of colonel.
In addition to his banking interests, Mr. Sharp has ever found time and opportunity to espouse the cause of all
movements of a public character tending toward the advancement of the community, and by so doing has exemplified
the belief that a full measure of public spirit is a component factor in good citizenship. He was one of the original
incorporators of the Scioto Valley Traction Company and is now vice president and treasurer. He was also one of
the organizers and for many years served as vice president and treasurer of the Columbus Citizens Telephone Company.
Mr. Sharp is a member of the Broad Street Presbyterian Church, of which he served for several years as treasurer
and a member of the board of trustees
Mr. Sharp has found his greatest recreation and pleasure in travel and has made eleven trips to Europe.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium