Theodore J. Schirtzinger, general contractor, with offices at 1353 North High Street, is prominent among the
successful business men of Columbus. He was born near Columbus, March 26, 1890, the son of John B. and Rose Schirtzinger.
John B. Schirtzinger was born in Germany. He emigrated to the United States when he was eighteen years of age and
located on a farm near Columbus. He became one of the most extensive and successful dairy farmers of this section
and later engaged in the grocery business at Summit and Seventh Avenues, Columbus. Mr. Schirtzinger died February
21, 1930, at the age of eighty two years. His wife died in 1922. Both are buried in Mt. Calvary Cemetery, Columbus.
They were the parents of the following children: Louis, deceased; Mary, deceased; Frederick, associated in the
building business with his brother, Theodore J.; Clara, married Dallas Spafford, lives at Linworth, Ohio; Maxwell,
lives at Columbus; Theodore J., the subject of this sketch; Thomas A., who is associated with the F. G. & A.
Howell Furniture Company, Columbus; and Helen, lives at Columbus.
Theodore J. Schirtzinger obtained his education in the public schools of Columbus. At the age of sixteen years
he learned the carpenter's trade and since 1912 has engaged in business for himself in Columbus. Mention of numerous
contracts completed by Mr. Schirtzinger serve as assurance that he is a contractor of practical experience, who
is prepared and equipped to execute any kind or type of dwelling or building. He has established his business on
the principles of fair and honest treatment of all and quality workmanship as the contracts give evidence of. The
following commercial and public buildings were erected by Mr. Schirtzinger: Adams Recreation Palace, The D. L.
Auld Company, The Doctors Office Building, 137 East State Street, The Howe Miller Garage, Moores & Ross Factory
Building, Moores & Ross Office Addition, Royal Tire Service of the United States Rubber Company, The M. &
R. Dietetic Laboratories, Inc., The Toshoff Palace Theater, remodel, The Ruby Chemical Company, The National Refining
Company Office, The Fireproof Warehouse & Storage Company, The Frigidaire Sales Building, and The D. S. Korn
Building. Residences: Horace Willoughby, Mary J. Ross, W. E. Benua, H. C. Moores, P. A. Dolle, Vera A. Miller,
Wallace J. Kappes, Manch Wallace, Howard Auld, R. E. Cochran, George M. Morris, A. J. Dunn, Sara A. Turner, A.
J. Milligan, Stanley G. Brooks, Charles J. Pretzman, P. A. Dolle, Phi Kappa Fraternity, Frank L. Segale, Fred H.
Perfect, and C. B. Harpester.
On January 21, 1921, Mr. Schirtzinger was united in marriage with Miss Ethel McAllister, of Columbus, the daughter
of Guy G. and Adelle (Riches) McAllister. Ethel (McAllister) Schirtzinger died July 29, 1927, and is buried in
St. Joseph's Cemetery, Columbus. She had two daughters: Marilyn Adelle and Dolores Marie.
On April 18, 1929, Mr. Schirtzinger married Miss Margaret Ortman, of Columbus, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Doan
Ortman, of this city. She is a graduate of Ohio State University.
Mr. Schirtzinger is a member of the Catholic Church, and belongs to the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium