Charles G. Rose, who is successfully engaged in the real estate business as a member of the firm of Rose &
Roush, with offices at 35 East Gay Street, is a representative business man and highly esteemed citizen of Columbus.
He was born in Delaware County, Ohio, June 24, 1865, the son of Seth C. and Jennie (Gaylord) Rose.
Seth C. Rose was among the earliest settlers of Delaware County, having come here from Tompkins County, New York,
where he was born, in 1825. He made the trip by boat to Cleveland, Ohio, and walked then to Delaware County. Mr.
Rose became a prosperous farmer and was also a carpenter by trade. He built the first homes at Sunbury and also
erected the village's store and business houses. He died in 1893 and is buried at Sunbury. His wife, born at Sunbury,
died in 1905. Mr. Rose was a Republican and held numerous public offices, such as postmaster, township trustee,
and school board member. He was a member of the Baptist Church and his wife was identified with the Universalist
Church. To Mr. and Mrs. Rose were born five children, as follows: Jessie, M. D., a leading physician of Marion,
Ohio, for many years, died in 1885, was the wife of Dr. Edwin H. Chamberlain, who died in 1900; Edna, who died
at the age of twelve years; Charles G., the subject of this sketch; James C., farmer, lives near Sunbury; and Edison,
who lives at Logan, Ohio. He is a veteran of the Spanish American War, having served with Company K, 4th Regiment,
Ohio Volunteer Infantry.
Charles G. Rose obtained his education in the district schools of Delaware County and engaged in farming until
after his marriage. He then settled at Sunbury and after one year removed to Delaware, where he was interested
in the flour and feed business until 1910. At that time he was elected county recorder of Delaware County and served
in that capacity until 1915, when he became director of public service in Delaware. Mr. Rose's next business connection
was with the Hocking Valley Railroad as a timekeeper. He came to Columbus in 1918 and since May, 1919, has been
interested in the real estate business. He was associated with Lindsey, Matthews & Company at 70 North High
Street until 1926, at which time Mr. Rose became associated with Mr. Roush, and they purchased the Matthews interests.
They are recognized as farm specialists and also handle general real estate.
On January 17, 1888, Mr. Rose was united in marriage with Miss Ida Calvert, of Guysville, Athens County, Ohio.
She died December 17, 1928, and is buried at Delaware. She was the daughter of Joshua and Charlotte (Moore) Calvert,
natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. Mr. Calvert died in 1865 and his wife died in 1893. To Mr. and Mrs.
Rose were born two children: (1) Irene, born March 2, 1889, attended Ohio Wesleyan University, class of 1910, married
in 1919 to John A. Harshman, a veteran of the World War. He is a research engineer with the Columbia Gas &
Electric Company, Columbus. They have two sons: Richard C. and Edwin L. Harshman. (2) Leonard C., born November
1, 1898. He was a graduate of Delaware High School and Ohio State University, and was married in 1914 to Miss Catherine
Cullin, of Delaware. A daughter died in infancy. Leonard C. Rose died in July, 1918, having met with an accidental
death at Toledo, Ohio. He is buried at Delaware.
In politics Mr. Rose is identified with the Republican party. He is a member of the Methodist Church, and is affiliated
with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and Knights of Pythias.
Mr. Rose owns several fine farms in Ohio, where he spends much of his leisure time. He was born in the same county
in which Frank B. Willis was born, and throughout the latter's life they were close friends.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium