Adjutant General A. W. Reynolds, a veteran of two wars, is past camp commander of Camp No. 49, United Spanish
War Veterans, a member of Franklin Post No. 1 and ex chairman Franklin County Council of the American Legion, and
has been a resident of Columbus for forty years, and is head of a large plumbing establishment, a business with
which he has been practically identified ever since he located in this city.
General Reynolds was born in Birmingham, England, in 1870. However, members of the Reynolds family have been in
Ohio for nearly a century, and General Reynolds had many relatives in the state of Ohio when he came here. He was
reared and received his early education in England, and in 1887, at the age of 16 years, came to Columbus, where
he learned the plumber's trade. He has been in the plumbing business on his own account since 1896. For twenty
one years his business headquarters were on Parsons Avenue near Oak Street. In 1922 he moved to a commodious new
plant which was erected for his business, a substantial two story brick structure at 684 Oak Street. As a dealer
in plumbers' supplies and as a contractor, General Reynolds has handled a large share of business in that line
in Columbus and vicinity. His business has been built up on principles of strictly honorable dealing and satisfactory
service. He is also president of the Grand View Lumber Company.
Mr. Reynolds had not been a resident of the city of Columbus long when in 1888 he enlisted as a private in the
old Fourteenth Ohio Regiment of the National Guard. When the Spanish-American War came on ten years later he went
into active service as a first lieutenant of the Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry and was promoted to captain while
his regiment was in Porto Rico. In the National Guard he rose to the rank of major. Early in 1917 he was called
into federal service individually in advance of the National Guard and was assigned to duty as construction quartermaster
at Camp Sheridan, Montgomery, Alabama. In the same capacity and with the rank of major he went overseas in June,
1918, with the Thirty seventh Division. His command while in France was with this division, and he was in service
there until the spring of 1919. He received his honorable discharge May 9, 1919 and immediately resumed his connections
with the Ohio National Guard with the rank of major. When Gov. Myers T. Cooper took his office in 1929 Mr. Reynolds
was made adjutant general, which office he still holds.
General Reynolds is well known socially and in civic affairs. He is a member of the Chamber of Commerce, Kiwanis
Club, Spanish War Veterans, American Legion, Masons, Chapter R. A. M., Commandery K. T., Scioto Consistory, Thirty
second degree, and Aladdin Temple. He also belongs to the Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows
and Columbus Country Club.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium