Clyde S. Reed, who is president and treasurer of the Clyde S. Reed Optical Company, of 80 South Third Street,
is recognized as one of the leading optometrists of this section of the state. He was born in Pickaway County,
Ohio, April 3, 1885, the son of Hylas L. and Zilla (Scott) Reed.
Hylas L. Reed was born in Pickaway County, Ohio, in 1860. He has been identified with the shoe business as a salesman
throughout his entire business career, and now resides at Galena, Ohio His wife, born near New Lexington, Ohio,
died in April, 1929, and is buried in Union Cemetery, Columbus. To Mr. and Mrs. Reed the following children were
born: Byron, lives at Carthage, Texas; Harry, lives in Columbus; Thomas, lives in Columbus; Clyde S., the subject
of this sketch; and Wilda, married Alton Fairchild, lives in Columbus.
Clyde S. Reed obtained his education in the district schools of Pickaway County. As a young man he came to Columbus,
where he entered the employ of the H. Cole Company, opticians, with whom he was identified for a period of four
years. He then established his own business at 30 East Broad Street in 1905, nine years later removed to 40 North
High Street, ten years later removed to 108 South High Street, four years later organizing the Clyde S. Reed Optical
Company and becoming president. On July 1, 1928, the business was removed to 80 South Third Street, its present
location. Mr. Reed spent a year in study with George Rogers, of Chicago University, who is recognized as one of
the greatest authorities and teachers of optometry in the world.
On October 10, 1908, Mr. Reed was united in marriage with Miss Marion A. House, the daughter of William A. and
Anna House, of Columbus.
Politically, Mr. Reed is a Republican. He is a member of the Congregational Church and his wife belongs to the
Central Presbyterian Church. Mr. Reed is also affiliated with Goodale Lodge, Free and Accepted Masons, Scioto Consistory,
Thirty second degree, Aladdin Temple Mystic Shrine, Achbar Grotto, and Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.
He also belongs to the Columbus Athletic Club.
The family residence is at 2409 Plymouth Avenue, Bexley.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium