Clayton McPeek, M. D. - A physician and surgeon of exceptional qualifications, Doctor McPeek is widely known
in Columbus and throughout Franklin County, where he has engaged in the successful practice of his profession for
the past twenty five years. He is also identified with the College of Medicine, Ohio State University, as an assistant
professor in physiology, and has been connected with the University since 1910. Doctor McPeek was born on a farm
in Van Wert County, Ohio, June 25, 1888, the son of Washington Allen and Irene (Haynes) McPeek.
Washington Allen McPeek was born on a farm in Wyandotte County, Ohio, and now lives retired at Van Wert. He followed
general farming for many years and was also a carpenter by trade. He is a Democrat and a member of the Methodist
Church. His wife, born in Hardin County, Ohio, died in 1928, and is buried at Van Wert. Only one child was born
to Mr. and Mrs. McPeek, Clayton, the subject of this sketch.
The boyhood of Clayton McPeek was spent on his father's farm, and he attended the public schools of Van Wert, Ohio,
from which he was graduated in 1906. He then entered Ohio Medical University, which later became Starling Medical
College, Ohio State University, and was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1910. From 1907 he had
served as an assistant in the College of Medicine, and has continued in the services of the university since that
date. In 1910 Doctor McPeek established a private practice at 1144 Hunter Avenue, but the following year removed
to 715 North High Street, where he was associated with Dr. W. J. Means until the latter's retirement ten years
later. Doctor McPeek then became associated with his former partner's son, Dr. J. W. Means, and this partnership
continued until 1925, at which time Doctor McPeek removed his offices to his present location, 19 West 5th Avenue.
He is identified with the Columbus Academy of Madicine, Ohio State Medical Society, American Medical Association,
American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the Association for the Study of Internal Secretions.
Doctor McPeek is a member of the staff of University Hospital, and is visiting physician for Radium Hospital and
St. Ann's Hospital.
On January 30, 1911, Doctor McPeek was united in marriage with Miss Mary Alice Biddle, of Columbus, the daughter
of Henry Clay and Mary (Evans) Biddle, the former a native of Columbus and the latter of Wales. Mr. Biddle died
in 1919 and is buried in Greenlawn Cemetery, Columbus. His wife died in 1923. To Doctor and Mrs. McPeek were born
three children: Henry Allen, born June 21, 1913, a graduate of North High School, class of 1930, now attends Ohio
State University, where he will take up the study of medicine; a daughter, born May 16, 1921, died in infancy;
and Donald Clayton, born December 16, 1925. Henry Allen McPeek has shown a decided inclination and talent toward
mechanical and electrical construction work, and is especially interested in airplane construction. While a student
at North High School he was an officer and active member of the Aero Club.
Doctor McPeek is a Republican, a member of the Third Avenue Methodist Church, and is affiliated with York Lodge,
Free & Accepted Masons, York Council, Temple Chapter, Columbus Commandery, Scioto Consistory, and Aladdin Temple.
He is also a member of the Scioto Country Club. The family residence is located at 110 West First Avenue, and Doctor
McPeek also owns a lovely estate on the west River Road, near Dublin, where his family spends much of the summer
During the World War Doctor McPeek was enrolled in the Volunteer Medical Service Corps, and specialized in experimental
work with gas.
Henry Clay Biddle, father of Mrs. McPeek, was born in Columbus, May 13, 1843, the son of Thomas Biddle, who was
one of the first settlers of the city, having come here from Wales in 1830. He erected a planing mill on Spring
Street, near the Ohio Penitentiary, which was the first mill of its kind in Columbus. He followed this business
until the time of his death. His son, Henry Clay Biddle, continued to operate the mill for several years, but finally
abandoned the project. He later operated another mill on Armstrong Street, which was known as the Columbus Sash
Door & Lumber Company. After a period of fifteen years he engaged in the contracting and building business.
He died at the age of seventy six years. Mr. Biddle was the builder of the Ohio State Capital Building in Columbus,
as well as numerous other early business houses and office buildings of those early days. The original Thomas Biddle
home was located at Naughton and High Streets. Mary (Evans) Biddle, mother of Mrs. McPeek, was the daughter of
Richard R. Evans. She was only two years old when she came to this country from Wales with her parents. Their farm
was located on land between East Main Street and Broad Street, between Ohio and Wilson avenues. A brother, Morris
Evans, also owned a great deal of land adjoining this section. In 1867 he went to Putnam County, Ohio, where he
spent the remainder of his life.
It may also be mentioned concerning the life of Henry Clay Biddle that he served throughout the Civil War. Three
of his sons later served in the Spanish American War, and another, Thomas Evans Biddle, served throughout the World
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium