William Henry Lane, lawyer, has engaged in the practice of his profession at Canal Winchester for almost fifty
years and is numbered among the leading attorneys of Franklin County. He was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, January
17, 1851, the son of John and Catherine (Bowling) Lane.
John Lane was one of the first settlers of Fairfield County, Ohio. He was a farmer throughout his life and died
in 1896 His wife died in 1906. Both are buried in Wesley Chapel Cemetery, Fairfield County. Thirteen children were
born to Mr. and Mrs. Lane, as follows: Llewellyn, Alcetus, both deceased; William Henry, the subject of this sketch;
John, James E., George, Charles E., Mary J., Rachel, Louise C., Amanda Ann, Martha L. and Letitia Ellen, all deceased.
William Henry Lane attended the district schools of Bloom Township, Fairfield County, and early in life was interested
in the teaching profession. He was connected with the schools of Lithopolis for a period of six years and with
the Fairfield County school system for a total number of ten years, from 1872 until 1882. Mr. Lane had also taken
up the study of law and was admitted to the Franklin County Bar in 1884. At that time he came to Canal Winchester,
where he established a general practice. He has met with marked success in his professional career and has also
taken an active part in the civic life of Canal Winchester, having held the office of mayor and justice of the
peace. He has been attorney for the Canal Winchester Bank since the date of its organization in 1887.
On March 4, 1885, Mr. Lane was united in marriage with Miss Sarah J. Lusk, the daughter of John and Maria Coral
Lusk, of Canal Winchester. To them were born two children: Della May, who died in infancy; and Quentin R., deceased.
He was a prominent attorney of Columbus, and was associated in practice with a Mr. Bradley. He is survived by a
son, Collis Grundy Lane, who lives with his grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. William H. Lane. He was admitted to the
Franklin County Bar in June, 1929, and is one of the leading young attorneys of Columbus, with offices at 16 East
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium