Russell M. Knepper. - Mr. Knepper is senior member of the law firm of Knepper & Wilcox, with offices at
44 East Broad Street, Columbus. He is known for his talented work in various public offices and in his profession
and is especially commended for the energetic manner in which he works. He is recognized particularly as an expert
on legislation affecting state and public schools and insurance matters, subjects which he has given broad and
careful study, and to which he has contributed advances of much significance to the educational structure and insurance
interests of the state.
Mr. Knepper was born at Hopewell Township, Seneca County, Ohio, February 11, 1878, the son of Benjamin F. and Mary
(Reeme) Knepper. After finishing the high school course he began to teach school at the age of seventeen years.
Later, he entered Ohio Northern University and graduated in the class of 1901 with the degree of Bachelor of Science.
For three years thereafter he studied law in the office of Judge George M. Hoke, of Tiffin, Ohio, and finished
his legal studies at Ohio Northern University, graduating in 1905 with the degree of LL. B. He was admitted to
the bar of Ohio in the same year and practiced in Tiffin as a partner with Judge W. Scott Wagner, in the firm of
Wagner & Knepper.
During the early years of his practice in Tiffin, Mr. Knepper came frequently before the public attention as a
talented barrister, and was also an active worker in the Democratic party organization. In 1912 he received the
Democratic nomination for the office of prosecuting attorney of Seneca County, and was elected to that office in
November, 1912. In 1914 he was returned to that office in the fall elections.
At the close of his second term Mr. Knepper had attained to a considerable prominence throughout the state as a
vigorous prosecutor and as an astute legal mind. During the administration of Governor James M. Cox, in the early
part of 1917, he was appointed special counsel under Attorney General Joseph McGhee, and filled that office with
distinction during the years of 1917 and 1918. In 1919 he established his legal practice in Columbus. The firm
of Knepper & Wilcox was founded in 1923 in association with the late Alfred N. Wilcox.
Mr. Knepper was married on December 12, 1907, to Miss Mamie A. Corn, of Ironton, Ohio. They have one son, William
Edward, and one daughter, Alice Margaret, both of whom are students at Ohio State University.
Mr. Knepper is a foremost figure in the activities of fraternal and civic organizations, being affiliated with
the Masonic Lodge, Columbus Consistory, Thirty second degree, Aladdin Temple, Knights of Pythias; and Benevolent
and Protective Order of Elks. He is judge advocate of the Ohio Brigade, Uniform Rank, Knights of Pythias, with
the rank of colonel. He is past president of the Exchange Club of Columbus, and is a member of Franklin County
Bar Association, Ohio State Bar Association, and American Bar Association, as well as various other societies and
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium