Dr. John W. Jones, superintendent of the Ohio State School for the Deaf since 1895, is a nationally known figure
by reason of his brilliant work, not primarily as an institution executive, but notably through the far reaching
influence he has exerted on the methods of treatment in a special department of sociological development presenting
peculiar problems to the educator. Dr. Jones has been a pioneer in many practices now accepted as standard, and
his skillful administration has elevated the Ohio State School for the Deaf to a place of distinction among such
institutions in America. Dr. Jones was president of the Convention of American Instructors of the Deaf from 1925
to 1927, and has for many years contributed valuable service to this association, as wel1 as to the Conference
of Superintendents and Principals for the Deaf, of which he was also president. He is a recognized authority in
the field of eugenics, being the author of: "The Greatest Problem of the Race - Its Own Conservation,"
a book which discusses intelligently and constructively the problem of hereditary defects, adducing pertinent observation
from state institutions. He is also the author of a set of English text books (4 volumes) for use in schools for
the deaf. In 1926 a story book, "The Story of Robert, a Deaf Boy" was published and has had a wide circulation.
In 1930 he wrote a book called "Family Team Work," a story of agricultural life but applicable to all
life. In recognition of his achievements Dr. Jones was accorded the honorary degree of LL. D. by Wilmington College
and Doctor of Humane Letters by Gallaudet College, Washington, District of Columbia. He is also an honorary life
member of the Ohio State Teachers' Association.
Dr. Jones is a native of Adams County, Ohio, born January 25, 1860. As a youth he worked his way through the advanced
schools, graduating in 1885 from the National Normal University at Lebanon, Ohio. His ability was early recognized
and shortly after graduation he was appointed superintendent of public schools in Manchester, Ohio, a post he filled
capably for ten years, resigning in 1895 to assume the greater responsibilities of his present office. Under his
incumbency the scope of the school's work has been broadened immensely; its efficiency has increased as the methods
have been characterized by a greater certainty and fitness for their purpose and in general its service to the
community has been enlarged and improved. Within the institution itself, great developments have gone forward;
more modern facilities have been installed, three new buildings have been erected and the departments of instruction
have been increased and bettered, with a resulting increase in attendance figures.
In 1926 Dr. Jones undertook the development of a residential subdivision on property owned by him in the north
end of Columbus, Rosemary No. 4, as the development is known, comprises some fifty residence and building lots,
and promises to take its place with the most distinctive sections of Columbus.
Doctor and Mrs. Jones, who was formerly Miss Cora A. McPherson of Adams County, have three daughters: Marjorie
M. (Mrs. E. E. Spencer); Carrie L., an instructor of the deaf in Columbus; and Pauline (Mrs. E. G. Marquis).
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium