Charles Foster Johnson. - Individually and through the companies which he has organized and directed, Charles
Foster Johnson has developed millions of dollars worth of property in Columbus and Franklin County, as well as
in other sections of the state and country. Some of the most important real estate transactions, building and construction
interests have centered in him.
Mr. Johnson was born at New Albany, Franklin County, Ohio, October 14, 1879, the son of William H. and Mary Rose
(Humphrey) Johnson. He is of Revolutionary ancestry, his great grandfather, Robert Johnson, having been a private
in the Second Maryland Regiment in the war for independence, while his great great grandfather, John Ferguson,
was a private in the Frederick County, Maryland, Associators. The Johnson family has been in Franklin County for
several generations, coming overland in wagons from Washington, District of Columbia. Mr. Johnson's father was
born in Columbus.
The early years of Charles F. Johnson were spent at New Albany, where he attended the public schools. Later, he
attended high school at Ithaca, New York, and in 1902 was graduated in law from Ohio State University. His legal
education has been useful to him in many ways though he never sought to build up a practice of law, being early
drawn into the real estate business. In 1907 he organized and became president of the Columbus Land Company and
in 1908 the Thompson, Johnson & Thompson Company. In 1910 he became one of the organizers and secretary of
the Dominion Land Company. This company has remained the chief medium to which his real estate development enterprises
have been carried out. In addition thereto he has also organized and has been executive head of other companies
for real estate development, including the Owners Land Company, the Bergman Realty Company, New Columbus Land Company,
Beechwald Realty Company, Charles F. Johnson Realty Company, and Pegg Realty Company. He is also secretary of the
Frankenberg Construction Company, doing general construction work. In the summer of 1923 he organized and is president
of the Charles F. Johnson, Inc., an organization through which all the business of the companies just mentioned
is transacted, thus centering the bulk of his affairs under one head.
Through such organizations Mr. Johnson has facilities for doing everything in the development of property. He buys
land, plats it into building sites, builds streets, sewers and other modern improvements, erects houses, and in
the course of 24 years or more has handled a great volume of business.
Mr Johnson is an elder in the East Broad Street Presbyterian Church, is active in charities and is a member of
the Young Men's Christian Association, is a Thirty second Degree Scottish Rite Mason, being a life member of Aladdin
Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., Achbar Grotto, and he is also a member of the Columbus Rotary Club, Columbus Country
Club, Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, No. 37, American Legion, and Benjamin Franklin Chapter, Sons of
the American Revolution. He is a trustee of Western College at Oxford, Ohio, and trustee of the Presbyterian Homes
at Sidney, Ohio, president of the Presbyterian Council of Presbytery of Columbus, as well as a trustee of the Presbytery,
member of the Buckeye Republican Club, Columbus Real Estate Board, and Chamber of Commerce.
During the World War period Mr. Johnson in the spring of 1918 volunteered and was assigned to duty in the quartermaster
general's headquarters at Washington, District of Columbia, with the rank of captain. From there he was transferred
to Camp Meade, Maryland, and finally to Zone Supply Office at Baltimore, where he continued on duty until he was
honorably discharged in March, 1919.
On June 16, 1904, Mr. Johnson was united in marriage with Miss Mary Jane Pinney. They have three daughters: Mary
Kathryn, Phylis, and Esther Pinney.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium