Gebhard Jaeger. - One of the leading figures in the business life of Columbus is Gebhard Jaeger, who is founder
and president of The Jaeger Machine Company, whose plant and offices are located at 520 Dublin Avenue. Mr. Jaeger
was born in Germany, June 19, 1874. He was educated in his native land and at the age of eighteen years emigrated
to the United States and settled at St. Louis, Missouri. In 1900 Mr. Jaeger went to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, as
a designer of woven wire fence machines for the Union Steel Company.
Mr. Jaeger came to Columbus from Pittsburgh in 1902 and shortly after designed the well known Hayden Concrete Block
Machine. In 1905 he designed and built the first concrete mixing machine, which was later manufactured by his own
company with such unequalled success.
Jaeger concrete mixers are used extensively throughout the entire world, a large percent in use being the product
of the Jaeger interests in Columbus. When a contractor or builder in Seattle, Washington, Singapore or Paris, France,
begins thinking about concrete mixers, the name of Jaeger usually comes to his mind first, for the Jaeger Machine
Company is the largest manufacturer of concrete mixers in the world, with a business that is literally world wide.
In the United States, over one third of the machines built by the entire industry are produced at the Dublin Avenue
plant. It is estimated today that over 75,000 Jaeger mixers are in operation, with more than 100 distributors located
in all cities of importance, which enables the company to advertise two hour service to almost any point in the
United States. This leadership is even more pronounced in Europe where Jaeger Mixers are built in several countries.
In reaching this present position, the Jaeger Company has passed through one of the most spectacular developments
of any Columbus industry. Starting in 1906 with a total of $12,000 worth of business in the original type mixers,
produced in a one room machine shop on West Broad Street, today's production Jaeger mixers ranges from small three
and one half cubic foot trailers, which one man moves around and handles alone, to giant fifty six cubic foot outfits,
weighing over 11,000 pounds. Between these two extremes there are eight other sizes and scores of various types,
which constitute the most complete line of machines for concrete, mortar and plaster mixing known in the industry.
More recently, the Jaeger name has become almost as well known among contractors in connection with pumps and hoists,
which are produced here in all sizes and types for the construction and road building industries. In 1928 Mr. Jaeger
got the idea of a truck mixer and later the company acquired ownership of the oldest and most basic patents on
truck mixers, which are coming into wide use in cities for the economical production and delivery of commercial
concrete to builders who do not operate their own mixing machines. These truck mixers load carefully weighed and
proportioned amounts of sand, stone and cement under convenient bins and mix the concrete while in transit to the
job, where it is to be used. According to O. G. Mandt, vice president and general manager, the Jaeger Company is
already embarked on a large production program for truck mixers at both its Columbus and Cleveland plants. The
Cleveland plant is that of the former Lakewood Engineering Company, the largest manufacturers of concrete road
building machinery in the world and consolidated with the Jaeger interests in 1929. The Cleveland plant is equal
in size of the Columbus plant, but it is contemplated to enlarge the Columbus plant and move the Cleveland plant
To stock and service the products of the local Columbus plant, 107 branches are required, located in principal
cities throughout the United States, with a force of over 200 salesmen. In addition to the regular operations of
assembling the heavy machinery parts, the company operates its own machine shops, both here and in Cleveland. Castings
are also produced at the local Dublin Avenue plant, and at Elyria, Ohio, where a foundry is operated under the
name of the Elyria Foundry Company. For the production of contractors' hoists, pumps and truck mixers, it was found
necessary last year to construct a fireproof factory addition to the Columbus plant. This is the latest of many
additions made to the plant since the great flood of 1913 when the original factory site, located on the Scioto
River, near the west end of the Rich Street Bridge, was condemned on account of the river widening program, and
the company moved into its present location.
The present officers of the company are as follows: Lloyd Brown, chairman of the board; G. Jaeger, president; O.
G. Mandt, vice president and general manager; W. B. Simpler, H. C. Fraas, and Lion Gardiner, vice presidents; August
Lorenz, treasurer; and John Ulrich, secretary.
In 1897 Mr. Jaeger was married to Miss Pauline Miller, of St. Louis, Missouri. They have no children.
Mr. Jaeger holds membership in the Columbus Country Club, Columbus Athletic Club, and Benevolent & Protective
Order of Elks, and others.
History of Franklin County, Ohio
Historical Publishing Company
Topeka - Indianapolis 1930
Franklin County, OH
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium